• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 glow plug light

suggsdr

Hello SS
I just replace my glow plugs all 8 they were shot. now when I started it. the gp light stays on when the engine is running it goes off after 30-40 sec. I bypass the resistor on the fire wall. I hook up to the front battery. My question is why the light stays on after the engine is running. Do I need to do the bypass on the card? Also I am going to replace the relay next week.
I do not plan to run until I replace my relay. I am not much of a mech.
Sort of a shade tree kind of guy. But willing to learn thanks for any replies

Danny

aspann

My wait light stays on after the engine starts up and stays on for maybe 15 sec. or so. I think that's normal.

Westech

CPL
Do you wait for the light to go out before starting? You should NEVER start the truck until the light goes out. Now after the light goes out and the truck has started you may hear the relay click on and off a couple more times this is fine and the way it works when cold. It will cycle the glow plugs a couple more SHORT times to insure the engine keeps running and keeps the smoke down.

suggsdr

when the truck starts the light went out. then came back on. its never done that in the 2 years i had it nor any M1009 i drove while in service. the temp was around 45F.
thanks

transman

At colder temps the glowplugs may cycle on and off several times after the engine starts. this is normal in both civy and cucv trucks. but at 45 it may indicate a temp sensor or card problem.

BobMassive

Having same issue. Replaced relay, bypassed resistor and controller card. starts like a champ now but light goes back on after start and stays on for 30 sec or so. So replacing the relay and bypassing the card wont shut the light off. And save you cash on relay if its not necessary. Just paid 65 for replacement. My only question is if the card normally refires the plugs in cold conditions, should i be manually refireing plugs since card is bypassed? Its 6 degrees currently.

jwaller

you might want to but if the truck is running on all 8 and not stumbling, I don't see the reason. BUT the hmmwv GP controller does this at all temps, I'm told it was done to help keep them clean and last longer.

suggsdr

Ok guys I Replace my gp relay & bypass the card with a push button & repalce my 24 volt gage.I have cycle plugs 2 times & it fires right up Volts run in the green area now.Thanks for all your help.also bypass the res block so i get 12 volts to relay.works great.
Thanks to all.Keep up the great work.
Danny
:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks