• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Glow Plugs - 24 or 12 Volt?

zyrtecx

I keep hearing that M1009 glow plugs are 12 volts then I hear that they are 24 volts... Which is it 12 or 24 volts? Does anyone know? Going to replace my glow plugs in an M1009. I took the glow plugs out of a parts M1009 and they were AC 13G and they all were Good! Had 3 bad ones in my daily driver M1009 and they had Wellmans in it, so I ordered 8 AC 13G from NAPA. The 13G's have the correct connector! I'm I going to be OK with the 13G's? The vehicle is Original 24 volt... No mod has been done convert to 12 volts...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be confused.

* Fact, the original cucv GP system supplies, 24v BUT, it goes through a resistor bank and that DROPS the voltage down to 12v, as soon as all 8 good glow plugs get the voltage(Yup, it's electronic magic)

* The magic does not happen when one or more glow plugs are bad or disconnected. This was a compromise in the original design.

* The glow plugs(Wellman 070, AC60G, AC13G, etc.) are all actually rated at 10.5 v!

Do not be confused!:roll:

Csm Davis

Don't be confused.

* Fact, the original cucv GP system supplies, 24v BUT, it goes through a resistor bank and that DROPS the voltage down to 12v, as soon as all 8 good glow plugs get the voltage(Yup, it's electronic magic)

* The magic does not happen when one or more glow plugs are bad or disconnected. This was a compromise in the original design.

* The glow plugs(Wellman 070, AC60G, AC13G, etc.) are all actually rated at 10.5 v!

Do not be confused!:roll:
ok I have got a few cucv lately that the 12 to 24 resistor has been cut off an the wire has been run to the junction box next to it on the firewall for just 12 volt operation does any one know if this will hurt or help performance of the glowplugs, I believe it will help them live longer if one goes out

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If the resistors are bypassed, most likely someone converted the glowplugs from the wellman 070's or AC 13's to AC 60g's, have the connectors that go to the GP's been replaced or are they still stock?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ

There is no need or reason to convert to 12v supplied to the GP relay, to use the other brands of Glow Plugs. You only need to replace the wire connectors to a 1/4" wide female blade terminal.

The wellman 070 and AC13 GPs are only 3/16" wide. (the original GP wire connectors are only 3/16" wide)

All the others should be 1/4" wide

CSM

Disconnecting the wire that originally supplies the GP relay(red wire from the resistor bank), and connecting a wire from the 2 post buss above the relay, is how you "convert" or resupply the GP relay with "straight" 12 volts. With this configuration, when you have a bad connection at a gp or a gp failure, it will NOT cause the others to burn out(due to over voltage).

The down side to this is, If your front battery were to be completely drained and you use a slave cable to jump-start the cucv, your Glow Plugs will not get function (the slave provides 24v in series to the batteries).

Also, with the dual coil, fast acting wellmans, I have seen a slight(1-3 second increase in cranking time, to start a very cold engine(12v supplied).

This has been covered in detail, before... Search keywords to find it

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
stock and why?
Because the 60g gp's have a wider connection tang than the stock military wellman 070, 13g's, The connectors have to be replaced in order to connect to the 60g glow plug. So, it sounds like someone has bypassed your resistor bank and wired straight 12 volts to the glow plugs.

zyrtecx

I could wait until the vehicle is cold and check the voltage going to the GP's with a volt meter and then I would know the voltage...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could wait until the vehicle is cold and check the voltage going to the GP's with a volt meter and then I would know the voltage...

The voltage is supplied to the top of the GP relay, all the time. It does not need to be cold to read your supplied voltage.

At this point, it is a mute point what voltage you have. You simply need to choose what GP you want to use and have connector/terminals that fit them.

If you want to modify the original system, you need to decide what your goal is and modify to fit your goal.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
FMJ

There is no need or reason to convert to 12v supplied to the GP relay, to use the other brands of Glow Plugs. You only need to replace the wire connectors to a 1/4" wide female blade terminal.
I was not advocating, nor did I recommend any other setup. However, the voltage present at the GP relay from the resistors in a stock military CUCV is 24 volts, the 60G (civy) glow plugs were designed to run on 12 volts only.

As always,
Your mileage may vary. :grin:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
However, the voltage present at the GP relay from the resistors in a stock military CUCV is 24 volts, the 60G (civy) glow plugs were designed to run on 12 volts only.

But... The 24 volts that is present, is only 24 volts until the relay closes and completes the circuit. At that point, the voltage drops to 12.5(unless there is a bad GP or connection). Any of the other brands of GP, should perform ok in this situation.

The wellman 070 and AC13 were never rated for 24 volts. They are all 12 volt(actually stamped on and tested at 10.5 volts) glow plugs.

The only glow plug that works in the 6.2 and 6.5 and are truely 24 volt is the stock Humvee GP(wellman G115).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks