• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 gov-loc has gov-bombed? why is it clapping

tripp2727

my rear end has a clapping noise during deceleration. it has been happening since i bought it from another member on here. it does not sound like metal grinding or popping its more of a rattle/ clapping. it does not seem to effect the way it drives other than being annoying. i have not worried too much about it because i am planning on a 1 ton axle swap. just curious if anyone has had the same problem and if there is an easy fix.

SterlingDevelop

it has been happening since i bought it from another member on here.

curious as to why you phrased it that way.
Did it do that when you test drove it before purchase?

When you turn a corner, you may hear noise from the disengagement and re-engagement. When going from drive (acceleration) to coast (deceleration) in a turn, a "metallic" sound may be heard as torque flow is reversed (inside wheel engaged during acceleration; outside wheel engaged during deceleration)

There is some backlash designed into the system that will produce a similar noise to what you are describing. Have you had another vehicle w/this rear before?

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

I have personally replaced the grenade locks and from the description it sounds like one I did a looooong time ago. The clutches were fine but the actuall carrier was split clean in half. Have you pulled the cover off and checked it? Check the carrier, clutches, spring, and all the rotating parts. Also check the back lash.

I hope this helps. If its bad, you might want to think about bigger axles or a eaton. I might have a brand new one!

Edit when you take the diff cover off and everything looks ok, change the fluid and add a good friction modifier. A lot of people forget that part. I use the older ford stuff cause it seems to work the best on all rears. I guess ford needed the best lubes to keep there stuff from blowing up. :twisted:

Last edited:

bp m1009

I have personally replaced the grenade locks and from the description it sounds like one I did a looooong time ago. The clutches were fine but the actuall carrier was split clean in half. Have you pulled the cover off and checked it? Check the carrier, clutches, spring, and all the rotating parts. Also check the back lash.

I hope this helps. If its bad, you might want to think about bigger axles or a eaton. I might have a brand new one!

Edit when you take the diff cover off and everything looks ok, change the fluid and add a good friction modifier. A lot of people forget that part. I use the older ford stuff cause it seems to work the best on all rears. I guess ford needed the best lubes to keep there stuff from blowing up. :twisted:
haha.....my m1009 makes a whining noise from the diff at around 25-35 its loud enough to hear over the engine but the faster you go the noise goes away

tripp2727

im going to take a look when i can get a break from work. like i said im not too worried about the posi not working as long as the whole rear end does not crap out until i can get some 1 tons. sterling as far as phrasing it that way i am just saying it has done it since i got it and the guy before me had mentioned it in a post somewhere on here but he described it as a metal on metal noise. i dont think its that severe but ill find out for sire a soon as i can pull the cover. thanks for the advice guys

Coal Cracker

yes, but inspect bearings and gears and make shure nothing is marred.

I did snow plow contracting for years , and have put many auburn's in place of the gov loc,

scrapman

The GovLoc 80 in my son's truck fragged out & destroyed the gear set. Replaced it with a Detroit Locker, Summit 3.73 gear set, Ratech installation kit, new axle bearings and seals. Added an aluminum cover with the bearing cap support studs. Approximate total cost was $1000. Next item to replace is the axles because it is only a matter of time before metal fatigue jumps up & bites ya in the ass. GovLoc's only lock up after one wheel starts spinning to cause centrifugal force on the weights inside to create lock-up then once both wheels reach a predetermined velocity it unlocks. The moniker it has earned as "Grenade 8" has been paid for with broken gears & many tears. My own preference is a Detroit Locker, no clutches, cones, or special friction gear lube. And as an added bonus, driving on a slick road for the first time can be an eye opener.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks