• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 hard top seals advice request

FridgeBrilliance

I searched and read a couple of threads, but was wondering about some things and if there is any new and amazing advice out there.

Going to replace the seals in a few days, and was wondering if LMC is the way to go, or if there is a better product out there.

Also wondering if there is anything else that should be done while the top is off (I can't think of anything but wanted to cover all bases).

Any tips and tricks on surface prep or additional things to do during install to get a better seal or increase durability?

Once again, cannot thank you guys enough for all your help and advice.

2002ford

I have the funny feeling you are going to find alot of rust. These seal hold 28 years of dirt and stuff. It stays wet way after it stops raining. Have a sandblaster ready and have the seals on hand. The old ones will peel off and will be junk. My 1009 came out of MS and I am still looking for a rust free roof that isnt rotted like mine. Good luck.

FridgeBrilliance

Mine came from Benecia, CA, where I actually used to live (nice coincidence) and even though it has been in WA for a while, everywhere I thought I would find rust there has been none, so hopefully that will help. If nobody else chimes in about the LMC seals I will go ahead and order them tomorrow. I have a good buddy who has been doing auto body stuff for a long time who will be helping. Sand blaster ain't happening, but I have plenty of paper and beer is still pretty cheap.

thj327

I got my top seals from classic parts. Not too hard to install but whoever u order from they are not like oem seals. Get a good weatherstrip adhesive and a couple of hrs.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine came from Ft Lewis- previously a range truck. No serious rust whatsoever. Don't worry about rust here. I just changed out all my seals, there's a thread here somewhere.

forest522

Hey, good question. My rig, in the avatar, came from Alaska and did have some rust the old seals were rotten and the bolts into the cab were rusted, two of them had to be drilled out. Major PITA!

Good luck and keep the beer handy!:beer:

cucv1833

I got my top seals from classic parts. Not too hard to install but whoever u order from they are not like oem seals. Get a good weatherstrip adhesive and a couple of hrs.
:ditto:
I bought all my hardtop seals from classicparts.com. It ran me around $300 for everything minus the side windows. I will do the side windows when I find some sliders. The tailgate section is the most expensive. I also bought the 3m adhesive there too.
I bought my front door seals from ebay before I did my hardtop. Although Its better to just buy everything at once from LMC or Classicparts

Now I have a leak on my widsheild lower left corner so on to some more weatherstripping projects.

85CUCVtom

Not too bad of a job. Took me a couple of hours. Have a friend or two close by to help lift the top off because it is HEAVY! From my experience get the 3M black weatherstrip adhesive. I used the 3M yellow before and it's too thin and runny for this job. Take your time and everything will turn out alright.

donalloy1

Been awaiting somebody to hit this subject! My O9 Top leaks from unknown location. Cannot wait to remove and replace all seals. Sounds like either classis or lmc will do? Nobody realy steering one way or other.

Two guys can remove? Looks pretty heavy?:grd:

thj327

Either is good. Still fairly easy to do just make sure u clean the surfaces good and use 3m adhesive. Just finished mine. Next is to put in the side glass seals.

cucv1833

Not too bad of a job. From my experience get the 3M black weatherstrip adhesive. I used the 3M yellow before and it's too thin and runny for this job. Take your time and everything will turn out alright.
I agree - Use the Black 3m adhesive it is way better and the right color. Classicparts has it while buying the seals. You may need 2-tubes I used 1-tube of black and ran out and had to use the yellow 3m and it is runny and gets everywhere then you have yellow crap everywhere.

Been awaiting somebody to hit this subject! My O9 Top leaks from unknown location. Cannot wait to remove and replace all seals. Sounds like either classis or lmc will do? Nobody realy steering one way or other.
Two guys can remove? Looks pretty heavy?:grd:
2-guys can remove but its still heavy. I use a cheap 1ton chainfall from harbor frieght and a 2-webslings and remove mine by my self because I take it off every summer anyways.