• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 hardtop strength/load capacity?

86M10086.2L

So I'm thinking of building a full roof rack/cargo basket setup for my M1009. And plan on also installing a roof top tent. My question is, does anyone have an idea of what the hardtop can handle weight wise. I know most commercially available load bars are for 300-500lbs. I will likley make my own heavy duty ones. However, will the top itself support the rack with basket(likely 100lbs or so), the tent another 50-100lbs, And 2-3 adults which would easily be another 300-500lbs? Thoughts?

Red_506

I'm not sure of the load capacity, however most roof racks I have seen for them have a support structure and is not just simply attached to the shell.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I built a full size rack for mine which I have since sold. The fiberglass top is about 1" thick on the outside seams and my rack weighed about 100lbs if not a little more. I have had just about 500 lbs on it numerous times and it did'nt affect the top at all, also had my roof top tent on it. I had 6 mounts on it with 2 bolts through each mount where the fiberglass is at its thickest points.

86M10086.2L

Ok, that's basically what I'm looking at doing. Did you make your mounts though the center/roof of the top? Or on the radiused Edges on the side. It looks like the top can handle the load. And many suggest mounting it to the edges as they are stronger than the roof by itself. But my research is giving mixed reviews. Thoughts anyone?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks