• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 headlight options?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t forget to use dielectric grease on the connections.
Really helps prevent corrosion.

Should be a packet included in each headlight box.

scottladdy

I originally started by wiring up my own dedicated headlight harness. I did this because one of my trucks had the dreaded melted fuse box around the headlight circuit when I bought it. Low beam headlights were only 35 watts and high beams were also lower at the time our trucks were made if I remember correctly. The direct through the switch wiring handling updated 55/65w sealed beams compounded with sufficient corrosion in the fuse box connectors leads to overheating. Safer, cheap and easy enough to change over to a harness with relays and there was a noticeable difference in light output after installing the harness.

Next, I learned about the Hella housings and installed these in one of my trucks. Only one because the other was off the road being "restored". They provided a significant improvement in light pattern over the sealed beams with a nice crisp cutoff. Despite the very noticeable improvement, you are still dealing with halogen technology (color temperature, current draw, heat, etc) coupled with the DOT mandated light pattern. I know you can go with the left drive European model if you choose to, but those models will NOT pass a safety inspection here in the states.

Then DOT spec LED's started to dramatically drop in price. So much so that I was able to pick up a pair of the highly rated JW Speaker lights for just a few $'s more than the Truck-Lites (which were originally my first choice due to price). The Speakers are a bargain when you consider how much safer I am on the road. The light pattern is fantastic, great cutoff, outstanding color temperature etc. I have seen the Truck-Lites on trucks and Jeeps in the area and really like their pattern as well, but believe the Speakers are sufficiently better that I will buy another pair and sell the Hella's on the other truck when that one is on the road again. I will not go back to Halogen's except under duress.

I have two snow seasons with the Speakers under my belt. They are not heated. My headlights have been affected by slush build up no better or worse than my vehicles with halogens (later model cars with model specific headlight housings so no legal way to upgrade these yet) under the exact same conditions.

Hope this helps, and as always YMMV.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this may sound crazy, but has anybody tried to retrofit round HMMWV headlights into a CUCV? I’ve often thought about it. It would require fabricating new flat steel bezels to accommodate the HMMWV buckets, but I believe it could be done. Just a thought.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks