• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Headlight problem.

CycleJay

Hi guys.

My M1009 is having a problem.
Yesterday all my lights were working fine, (headlights, taillights, etc.)
This morning all my lights were working fine except for both headlights.

I bought 2 brand new headlight bulbs, removed the old headlights, installed new headlights.
Now, I still have the same problem, both new headlights do not work.

Could it be a couple of bad bulbs, even though they are brand new?

Or what do you think I should check for the problem?

Helpful advice would be appreciated.

For those that will suggest to replace the headlight harness with the $30.00 oharness from LMC Truck,
I have already thought of that, and plan on it, but I have not been able to yet.
(other monetary commitments at the moment.)

Good day

MarcusOReallyus

Helpful advice would be appreciated.

# 1 best piece of advice you can get:

Troubleshoot. Don't guess. Don't swap parts.

# 2 best piece of advice you can get:

Occam's Razor is your friend.

:?::?::?:

Occa.... WHAT?

Occam's razor. A principle which basically says, don't start with the most complicated solution, or the most unlikely.

Two bad bulbs from the store? Possible. Not likely.

So, back to advice #1. Troubleshoot. Don't guess. Get your trusty multimeter or test light out and see if you have voltage at the headlight harness. Take the harness off the bulbs and test for 12v there.

Don't have a multimeter or test light?

Time for # 3 best piece of advice you can get:

Buy both. You can get by with a hardware store $10 multi-meter, and the test light should set you back less than that. You can't hope to deal with electrical problems if you don't have the most basic tools.

If you have one or the other, test for 12v there and work your way back in the circuit until you find it.

Oh, you DID download the TMs and you HAVE looked at the wiring diagrams, haven't you? (Hey, I might as well say it. Somebody is going to! :D )

:beer:

Oh, those new bulbs? Get some wire (with alligator clips, preferably) and hook them directly to your battery to make sure they are good. It's a very simple 60 second test, and it will eliminate a possibility.

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello Marcus,

I thought I would start with the simplest solution, considering they worked fine yesterday, and there was no way to tell how old the bulbs were.
Since I have never replaced them, and I have had the truck since June 2010. I figured they just burned out, so I bought two new bulbs.
No problem, I had the money.
By the way, when they were working fine yesterday, there was NO sign of trouble, no flickering, no dimming, went on when instantly when I turned them on, etc.

So now that it seems like a bigger issue, I will check for 12V at the headlight sockets, (they are clean by the way, but I cleaned them with electrical connection cleaner,
and stuffed them with dielectic grease...). Then go from there.

Thank you for the advice..

Good day...

ryan77

Do your tail lights work ? Did u check the fuse? Is the switch for the blackout, driving lights in proper position? Do the cluster lights work? We need more info?

CycleJay

Do your tail lights work ? Did u check the fuse? Is the switch for the blackout, driving lights in proper position? Do the cluster lights work? We need more info?
Hello Ryan,

I answered all this in my First post I believe. But I will answer you anyway.

Yes, my tail lights work. Yes, I checked the fuse, it is good, but I will check again, in the morning. Yes, I checked the blackout switch it is in the proper position for headlights.
Yes, the cluster lights work. Everything works just fine and wonderful except for both headlights as of Saturday morning. But they were working just fine Friday night.

Thank you.

CycleJay

Ryan,

Thank you for the advice. I will look into that. I looked at the ground connections behind each headlight, and they looked good.
But I will trace the wires this time, and see if there are any broken wires..

In the mean time, if I have to drive after it gets dark, I drive with all my other lights on,
and then I also turn on my two fog lights up front. Works pretty well.
But I am not sure how long they can stay on during sustained driving without burning out.

Thank you.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the ground wire that's connected by the outboard coolant overflow bottle bracket attached?

I'm not sure what that grounds but I almost forgot to reattach it once when replacing the bottle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the ground wire that's connected by the outboard coolant overflow bottle bracket attached?

I'm not sure what that grounds but I almost forgot to reattach it once when replacing the bottle.
that is the headlight ground. There is one just like it on the other headlight.

forest522

I agree with Makers, last year I replaced the headlight switch with one from Napa. As I recall, same thing, only the headlights were out, all else was fine. Come to think of it, there have been many odd lighting issues that seemed to be resolved with replacing the headlight switch.

They aren't expensive. Consider getting two so you have a spare. CUCV electric makes a high quality one, Napa is good too.

Other than the ground(s), tracing all the circuits from TMs, frayed/loose/dirty wires or connections...

Crash_AF

Sounds like the circuit breaker in the headlight switch failed. Common problem. Grab another from any parts store.

If that doesn't work, check the dimmer switch on the column. Might want to click it a couple of times first and see if it stuck between modes.

Later,
Joe

CycleJay

re; M1009 Headlight problem.

Hi guys,

I got a pm from another steel soldier earlier today.

He told me to try to put the hi-beams on.

I just did that, and now both bulbs from the old pair and the new pair work,
but only on hi-beam.

Any ideas?

If I have to replace a switch, no problem, Just need to know which one, part # (If I cannot find it in the TM), etc.
then I will get one and replace it.

Thank you for all the tips.

Good day.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CJ, the part they are talking about is the headlight dimmer switch that is on top the steering column. Not the ON/OFF lightswitch on the dash.

The TM 9-2320-289-34, Chapter 4-13, page 4-91, covers the removal, replacement and adjustment of the switch

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice.
And thanks to one of you, advising me of one thing of many to check. I did as he suggested.
And now my headlights are working again.

Good day...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks