• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Help Needed Strange Starting Issues

vinny-socom1

Ok I did a search but did not find anything pertaining to my issues. Truck has been starting fine with no problems but yesterday when I turned the key on the wait light did not come on-I was doing other things and thought I just missed it. I went to start it and it only turned over no start. Turned the key off and tried again this time I was watching for the wait light..no light tried again turn over but no start. I was in a hurry so I did a quick ether burst and it fired right up.

I let it run for a few minutes and turned it off. When I went to start it a gain the wait light came on and went off truck started just fine.

I ran a couple of errands with a number of off & ons with no issues.

This morning the wife goes to start the truck and its doing it again no wait light.

Before I go chasing TM's anybody ran into this? it sounds like it might be a bad relay but why would it not work then work then not work again?

Vinny

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by pulling the controller card out and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Then I would unplug and clean the temp sensor on the Drivers side head( inner rear).

Next, I would use a meter and see if the relay is activating. Measure incoming and outgoing voltages and compare them, while it is energized.

If it is not functioning then try this, You can eliminate all the controller circuit by simply grounding the light blue wire(small terminal) with the key on. Check the voltages again.

Anything less on the outgoing side means the relay is bad.

Of course, check all your GP's to be sure they are all good.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doubtful, but all bad plugs might.

Hollowman

Instead of ether try using deisel. I keep a piece of tubing tied around the battery brace under the hood. Whenever I have a no start problem (one that I have yet to sort out) I just bleed a little deisel into it from the top of the filter housing, pinch it off and then drain it into the carb. it hasn't failed me yet and I'm pretty sure its less risky than using ether. Good luck.

vinny-socom1

Well I'm not sure what the problem was but its fixed.... I was in town yesterday so I decided to pick up a GP relay, figured I might as well have a spare on hand. I was swapping it out when I noticed the wires to the rear GP temp sensor were bare and laying on the exhaust... fixed the wires swap out the relay and it works fine know.

I did See that I had a couple of vacuum lines missing and a couple cracked so I am replacing all of them asap.

Murphy must be eying me...

Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks