• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 hubs are hot

84cucv1ton

i used my k5 in 4wd a good bit the other day. hubs were barely warm. took a 20min trip on the road. hubs in in the free spot. hubs are really warm. wheel bearings are on the way out? i will be pulling it apart after the weekend to resurface the rotors. thanks

3dubs

Friction. Jack the tire off the ground and spin it. While turning the wheel move around the tire and listen. If it is the brakes you will hear it. Then either rebuild the calipers or just replace them. I always replace in pairs but that is your call. If you do not hear anything then it is where there is grease. Take things apart and inspect each peace for wear. If you do not find anything bearings are cheap I would just replace them when it is apart and repack with new grease. I for grease for boat trailers that go in saltwater. I do not know how to check hubs. But the only time I know things get hot is when the brake calipers do not completely release and the pad stys in contact. Then things get really hot.

Good Luck!

AZDeuce

I had a bolt fall off of the top of the calipers, the caliper dropped down and was rubbing the rotor, put big grooves on the inside of the caliper. I heard rubbing, jacked her up and spun the tire, and heard "grating" noise, figured it was the bearings, imagine my surprise when I pulled the wheel, and found the dropped caliper on top of the rotor! OUCH! New rotors and pads, the calipers were still servicable. While there I decided to install the new bearings I had bought, previously thinking this was a bearing issue.

The old bearings were covered in grease, and the races were as smooth as a babies behind, but when I washed the grease off the old bearings I saw pitting in the center of the bearings. They wouldn't have lasted much longer, so I installed new bearings and races on both sides up front, along with the rotors and pads, my CUCV is happy again, and seems to handle better also.

So check everything, it could be the bearings, it's not a hard job with the proper tools, and make sure to prop that bad boy up on some jack stands....SAFETY FIRST! Good luck.

3dubs

The bearings are sneaky. Because if they have grease they tend to not make noise. But if you do not know when they where replaced last then replace them anyway. Then it depends on how much you drive in water. I tend to find water and I have to drive in every puddle like a kid so every break job I wipe the bearings off and check them and repack with new grease. It may be a waste of time but water and sand are hard on bearing grease. Buy the best grease you can. It is only a couple bucks to save time and money.

The brakes tend to grind and you hear them. They are also very easy to check. Just pull the tire off and look. Look at the friction surfaces. If they are discolored they have been too hot and replace pads, discs or drums even if they may be good. The temperment of the metal is critical and a cracked pad can break at anytime. Sudden total brake loss is no fun:-D

When in doubt swap it out.

84cucv1ton

im going do do this now. that the family stuff is done.

thanks for the offer. im still up north nj. dont see it being the bearings truck just turned 25000.

AZDeuce

25,000 - Yes.....but was it a rode hard and put up wet 25,000 miles? I'd take a look at the bearings anyway, if all's well, give them some new grease, and they'll love you for it.

84cucv1ton

no not hard at all, i put 19000 on myself. i pulled the wheel. and looked at it all. was things the caliper was dragging. seems fine. wheel bearings are good and tight. took a 30 min ride last night. hub was HOT, could barely touch it. this is all i have to drive now.

next i will do the wheel bearings.

Armada

wheel bearings are good and tight.
Too tight? Are the bearings adjusted correctly?
This only happens on one side? With that much heat in a short time my guess is you have a caliper dragging, but not enough to be noticable. Over time the calipers will start hanging up on this era chevy truck, especially if it never gets used much.
And while you have the caliper off, check the bearings, inner and outer. Make sure they are well greased, not contaminated, and adjusted CORRECTLY. You want some play in the bearings, not tight or snug.

Last edited:

3dubs

If the caliper was dragging replace it! That can be very bad. You should replace the disc too. But you have to replace the caliper when it hangs out. You can push it back and sometimes it will work for a short time but it will not last. You most likely warped the disc with the heat. Stopping is more important than going.

84cucv1ton

as always thought you wanted it tight. truck has been sitting but it was fine when i stopped using it. only 25k seems like a problem you would have a 100k or something. just need to find the time
thanks

Armada

When they get that old anything can happen, whether they're 1,000 or a 100,000 miles on the clock.
Yes, replace the complete caliper. For insurance, I would replace the other side too.
And for the bearings, after repacking and assembling, tighten the nut down that holds the bearings in while turning the wheel by hand. Once all the play is out and the nut is snugged down but not tight, back the nut off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then lock in position. You should just be able to feel a little side play in the hub. This is what you want. Remember, heat will expand parts and if things are too tight they will cause friction and overheat. Umm, you might want to pick up a manual too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks