• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Idle Noise

irishvin

I recently swapped the engine in my '85 M1009 and when I'm in drive pressing on the brake, it makes some kind of grinding/rattling noise. I'm not sure if it's the transfer case, the transmission, the engine...I just don't know. All fluid levels are fine. The transmission fluid and oil leak but that's normal for a vehicle of its age. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Thanks in advance,
Vinny

sierrajcharlie

Can you tell which end it's coming from? It may just be a coincidence with the engine swap. You may want to take off the rear drums and check and make sure everything is as it should be. Awhile back I had the springs on the passenger side rear, break and it made the dangest noises whenever you'd hit the brakes, rattling, grinding and screeching. I didn't figure it out in time and when I finally tore the drums off the shoes were even bent. 2cents

Never mind, misread the original post and realized you meant while sitting and applying brake you get noise.

Last edited:

irishvin

ok thanks guys alot i checked the power streering it at a good level. il try to torque the starter bolts down the nosie is coming from or sounds like its coming from right near the bell houseing and i released it make it worse if im in 1st gear reall hit the gas.

wayne pick

ok thanks guys alot i checked the power streering it at a good level. il try to torque the starter bolts down the nosie is coming from or sounds like its coming from right near the bell houseing and i released it make it worse if im in 1st gear reall hit the gas.
Hea Vin, I tightened The starter bolts when I heli-coiled them. I didn't use a torque wrench, but I know they were tight. Check the exhaust doughnut flange and other exhaust connections to make sure they are not rattling. Check the flexplate cover and the PS pump bracket, the brackets crack and make a racket. With all the noise the engine makes, It's hard to determine where other noises are coming from unless you get under the truck and put a hand on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks