• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 in New Zealand

Foxtrot Oscar

Hi people. I've been perusing the whole site for a couple of weeks now after seeking info regarding the Glow-Plug Controller Card and finding it here.
I have recently acquired an M1009 which is ex-USMC. It's been down here in New Zealand for some 6 years but never been on the road.
Sold through GL from Scottsdale AZ. it arrrived here with some 'issues' which need sorting before becoming compliant with our transport regulations. The original importer attended to some rusty bits before getting side-tracked. The second owner dealt with running gear bushes, ball-joints etc but the truck then sat for a couple of years due to his illness. Sadly he passed away without getting to drive the vehicle and I have purchased it from his family. I'm a member of the NZMVCC (New Zealand Military Vehicle Collectors Club).
Whilst living in UK for 21 years I owned a civilian CK5 Blazer with the same 6.2 Diesel so I'm very happy to have the opportunity to wheel again under GM power. A covert test drive was most satisfactory.

I have commenced getting ready to submit to the NZ Certification testing...

Curently tasks for me include:
  • Attending to the surface rust on the drive-train which is the result of storage in the coastal atmosphere we have here in Auckland.
  • Purchasing a GP Card from AntennaClimber (who has been most helpful via PM).
  • Getting my head around the Doghead conversion.
  • Sorting the necessary number-plate mounting and lighting without compromising the originality of the vehicle.
  • Repairing the folding hinges on the front seats.
  • Converting the headlights to dipping leftwards (We are driving on the Left here same as UK).
  • Repair the tailgate window winder (which works but the lock barrel falls out).
I'd like to have it on the road before Christmas and appreciate, in advance, all your interest and assistance with any queries I may have. This will be a collected vehicle and not a daily driver. Pics attached (I hope). :)
Regards,
John.

Ok. Pics to follow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks