• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 info needed

Forgive me if this is posted somewhere else but I couldnt find it anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had a photo of the "starter bracket" or brace on a M1009? I need to see if I can fabricate one or see if anyone out there has one I could buy. Thank you in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has to be in TM..... I would think -20 or -34P
TM section is down, but someone, maybe WESTECH has them on his website

The bracket for the gear reduction starter is not in any of the tech manuals. It is a dealer item.

JATONKA has the tech manuals on his website.

www.jatonkasm35s.com

Last edited:

OL AG '89

SECTION II TM9-2320-289-34P

5 PAOZZ 11862 14028931 BRACKET,ANGLE

Joe,
I hear ya, but look at the figure (#39) that goes with description....
Is that what he's looking for?

Or is there a different bracket that I'm missing?

I've been reading threads on the starter relay issues with the M1009 and seen more than once about a bracket that if not installed, can cause broken nose cones up to a broken block. With the money I am going to throw at this thing, I really don't want either of these to happen. Also, is the 6.5 starter in a 24 volt the way to go? I have a local starter shop that will rebuild the 28mt fairly cheap? Which is better? I'm not afraid to spend the money for a better part or upgrade. Are there other things/parts/tricks for these to make them more reliable? Thank you all.

rlwm211

The bracket is to keep the end of the starter from "bouncing" and has only one attachment to the block and one to the starter.

In TM9-2320-289-20P it is referred to in FIG 32 item 5.

I am not sure and will check in the morning, but it looks very similiar to the bracket on a gas engine starter. By stopping the movement of the end of the starter you keep the main bolts tight and add a bit of reinforcement to the assembly.

I will check my civvy Suburban in the monring and see if it is the same. Hope fully pictures will be forthcoming.

RL

cucv1833

I just ordered both types of starter brackets from ''gm parts direct'' im on my third set of starter bolts due to not having the bracket before. and i may have already damaged my flywheel. i wont be starting my truck until i have the relay mod and bracket installed.

By using the advanced search button, I typed in starter bracket and searched the CUCV forum.

and the forth enter was:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/51593-starter-starter-relay.html
Has to be in TM..... I would think -20 or -34P
TM section is down, but someone, maybe WESTECH has them on his website
The bracket is to keep the end of the starter from "bouncing" and has only one attachment to the block and one to the starter.

In TM9-2320-289-20P it is referred to in FIG 32 item 5.

I am not sure and will check in the morning, but it looks very similiar to the bracket on a gas engine starter. By stopping the movement of the end of the starter you keep the main bolts tight and add a bit of reinforcement to the assembly.

I will check my civvy Suburban in the monring and see if it is the same. Hope fully pictures will be forthcoming.

RL
Thank you, all help is greatly appreciated.

I just ordered both types of starter brackets from ''gm parts direct'' im on my third set of starter bolts due to not having the bracket before. and i may have already damaged my flywheel. i wont be starting my truck until i have the relay mod and bracket installed.

I think i'll do the same. I havent got my m1009 home yet. I hope the weather is good enough friday to get it picked up but I would like to have everything on it's way or here by then.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECTION II TM9-2320-289-34P

5 PAOZZ 11862 14028931 BRACKET,ANGLE

Joe,
I hear ya, but look at the figure (#39) that goes with description....
Is that what he's looking for?

Or is there a different bracket that I'm missing?
The picture of the bracket is for the old direct drive starter. The newer 6.5L gear reduction starter is what GM replaced it with and the bracket is not in any of the tech manuals I have looked at.

Here are the numbers from the other thread.

The gear reduction bracket is 23502557 - $15.28 list
The direct drive bracket is 14028931 - $3.32 list
The Starter bolts - 15544950 - $2.80 ea (must buy a box of 5)
The bolt for the braket to block - 14060613 which is a M8 x 1.25 x 20

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Also, is the 6.5 starter in a 24 volt the way to go? I have a local starter shop that will rebuild the 28mt fairly cheap? Which is better? Thank you all.
The new gear reduction starter is what GM replaced the 28MT with. It runs cooler and should last longer.

But it is expensive to rebuild. It is usually cheaper to just replace it if you have issues.

I replaced a starter solenoid on one and it cost $60 +shipping. A new starter is running $100.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks