• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Injector Pump Replacement

Craig C

So the IP is leaking everywhere. The -34 says the CUCV IP is a DB-2829-4521. Is there a better one ? I have one I picked up sometime back just for this occasion however it says it's a DB-2829-4520 for a J code engine, so at least the J part is right. It needs to be rebuilt as well.

Anyone know of a place that has the correct pump, a rebuilt pump that is correct and not put together with junk parts or can rebuild what I send them with the CORRECT parts not to mention have it tuned correctly for the M1009.

Thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

mikelee

Was told by Diesel injection service the only difference was 1cc per cylinder from original ip. And a slight advance..Mine works well what a difference it made starting and running. 20 degrees here 10 seconds on glow plugs and starts right away.

dstang97

From what I have gathered There are J code civi/ military ones (2 different models), but are really the same. (military puts out more fuel.) Really it makes no difference unless you are going to run a turbo. With my set up I wish I bought a 4911 pump, because my pump is maxed out and could use some more.

chevyCUCV

I have heard of a DB2831 a na fuel pump for a 6.5. The plungers are .31 instead of .29 if i remember correctly, thus flowing more fuel.

Also if you want more there is the 4911, or the super coveted 5722

mutt1966

I had a 1986 GMC 6.2 Jimmy with a C pump it never gave me any trouble, retired it with close to 400,000 miles on it whats killing the pumps is the low-sulfer fuel a rebuilt pump with new seals and using a good addative should give you years of service. Scott O&O

Jersey4x4

I was told by a local injection shop that the Military umps have different rotors and internals because they were built to run on JP8 which essentially is ultra low sulfur diesel fuel certified no water. If the vehicle has a true military pump the ULS fuel used today should be no problem. I was also told that due to them sitting they tend to gum up in the governor area and can cause timing issues and over pressurization in the upper housing which will cause an over fuel situation and smoke. As for the Military pump putting out mre fuel then a civy unit, I really doubt it as the military engine is less HP then a civy engine and it would make sense that the mil spec pump uses less fuel. In theory as long as the pump matches the injectors it will work. I was considering the 6.5 marine injectors which are higher cc rating and pop pressure until I read that there is no point because the IP has to have the same settings to make it perform properly so I did not go that route. I would just do some research on the shops that do the rebuilds. I had some say there was no difference and others say here was a major difference and the cost was also way different, but I will say the shop that did say there was a difference actually showed me the breakdown of the parts and part numbers and price differences. Since I saw it with my own eyes in black and white from Standyne I tend to believe them plus I was in that direction anyway.

jdeoliveira74

Well I pulled my today too and converted the one from my hmwwv engine to 12v. I will Go back in tomorrow hopefully it fixes my issues truck was missing and running rough as he!@

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was told by a local injection shop that the Military umps have different rotors and internals because they were built to run on JP8 which essentially is ultra low sulfur diesel fuel certified no water. If the vehicle has a true military pump the ULS fuel used today should be no problem. I was also told that due to them sitting they tend to gum up in the governor area and can cause timing issues and over pressurization in the upper housing which will cause an over fuel situation and smoke. As for the Military pump putting out mre fuel then a civy unit, I really doubt it as the military engine is less HP then a civy engine and it would make sense that the mil spec pump uses less fuel. In theory as long as the pump matches the injectors it will work. I was considering the 6.5 marine injectors which are higher cc rating and pop pressure until I read that there is no point because the IP has to have the same settings to make it perform properly so I did not go that route. I would just do some research on the shops that do the rebuilds. I had some say there was no difference and others say here was a major difference and the cost was also way different, but I will say the shop that did say there was a difference actually showed me the breakdown of the parts and part numbers and price differences. Since I saw it with my own eyes in black and white from Standyne I tend to believe them plus I was in that direction anyway.
The only internal difference is the governer retaining ring. But early humvees and cucv's had the same plastic ring as the civilian counterparts. You can actually buy the metal ring kit the military swapped into these pumps after they started having issues.

BTW, most "rebuilds" of the Standyne/Roostamaster aren't rebuilds at all. Provided the hydraulic head is in good shape, most get new bushings and seals. And an upgraded governor retainer ring.

Jersey4x4

The only internal difference is the governer retaining ring. But early humvees and cucv's had the same plastic ring as the civilian counterparts. You can actually buy the metal ring kit the military swapped into these pumps after they started having issues.

BTW, most "rebuilds" of the Standyne/Roostamaster aren't rebuilds at all. Provided the hydraulic head is in good shape, most get new bushings and seals. And an upgraded governor retainer ring.

that is where the price difference is coming in. I wanted my pump rebuilt with a new rotor and head not just a rattle can rebuild as I call them.

jdeoliveira74

painted intake and mainfolds installed new ip pump and wow its like a different truck quiet, more power runs so smooth like a good glass of bombay saphire gin!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks