• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Inspection Checklist

JTZX

I'm having a friend inspect a gov't surplus M1009 this week, and I'm making a checklist for her since she's not all that familiar with these vehicles. Here's what I've got so far:

BODY
*Floors on inside and underneath
*Quarter panels (outside and behind)
*Rocker panels
*Underneath tailgate & tailgate hinges
*Quick visual inspection under chassis for rust
*Tires for tread depth/dry rot

INTERIOR
*Dash (to see if it's loose in case somebody decided to rob electrical stuff)
*General condition of interior as a whole

MECHANICAL
*Front axle u-joints & bearings for looseness
The running condition is listed as unknown, so I'm sure they won't be willing to try and start it. I guess I'll just have her check the engine bay for cleanliness and completeness and report anything that looks like it may have been hacked up or stripped off, and also make a quick visual inspection of the tranny and transfer case just to make sure they're there.

Questions to ask:
*Does it have keys?
*Have the fluids been drained?
*When was the last time it ran?

I'm also gonna have her take pictures if they'll allow it.

That's all I can think of right now. If anybody has any other suggestions feel free to add them. Thanks!

gasser

I think that's a pretty fair assestment; will her cell phone be able to take pictures so you can get her to "dig" deeper on certain areas?
Is she willing to climb undeneath and all around the truck? I say that because I don't know too many girls that would be willing to get their hands dirty. Anyhoo, not only check to see if the fluids are there, but the condition of the fluids ... like color of the coolant and if the trans fluid smells burnt.

There is a good chance that there won't be keys, but all the CUCVs are keyed the same. Search the forums here for the "code', from which you take it to a local lock-smith to make (I have several extras). I don't know the code on the top of my head ....

HTH,

-graham

JTZX

:lol: I'm wondering myself if she'll be willing to crawl underneath the truck and get dirty a little bit. I think it's a toss up - could go either way. I'll have her call me while she's checking it out so I can guide her a little. I suppose if it's raining or wet there she probably won't be willing to crawl around (and I don't blame her), but otherwise she might. I'm not betting on getting the front axle checked thoroughly because of this uncertainty, so I'm prepared to deal with that myself if I do end up getting this truck.

I'll have her check the fluids condition if they're still in the truck. Do they generally drain that stuff before sale or no? I'm hoping not. Anyway, it sure would be nice to know for sure if it runs or not, but I suppose it's a chance I'll have to take. Having a good, solid body would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Actually, if the body isn't all that great it will make my decision very easy.

gasser

Are you getting this from a GL auction? I have bought a few CUCVs from GL; 1/2 of them had fluids, and the other half was a crappy attempt to drain the fluids. However, before you move it out (drive, flat-tow) you will wanna check oil in the diff's .... (i know, kinda hard). My last CUCV had both diffs drained and I will filled them before I flat towed it.

In terms of it running, all the CUCVS that I have come across in the last year from GL have always been stripped or missing of something. Most likely, the Glow Plug Controller will be gone, as that tends to be a high-dollar item. Little stuff like that could be missing. Any photos of it yet (like from the people you are getting it from)?

-graham

dilvoy

Gasser has brought up a good point. The canninalizaion issue. Be shure to check for any missing attachment hardware before you drive away. Especially the steering linkages and U joint straps. It won't take you long to eyeball the engire underside of the the vehicle.

JTZX

Without inspecting it myself or having someone who really knows what they're looking for inspect it, I think I'll have to pass. My friend won't know what to look for when it comes to the cannibalization issue, and I don't think I'm willing to chance it. Looks like the late bidding is starting up anyway. There are a couple engine shots in there (if you click on one of the pictures and then scroll to pic 6 and 7), and the engine looks really really clean. Oh well. :(

gasser

Yeah, pic #5 ... just below the E-Brake handle is the cover to what I believe is the GP Controller ... and if that's been pulled down from it's usual location (up near the Fuse block), then that's been robbed.

However, this truck looks really clean! It has all it's glass, and all the little things in the engine bay. Dude, you need go for it. Chances are, it will need a few little items, and that GP controller (which, you can make the GPs cycle with a dumb switch), but this looks like a runner. Will this be a hobby truck or a daily driver?

I would say the only big question here is the condition of the engine/trans .... I suggest you still send your female companion to survey it and check the fluids and alike.

Maybe I am the optismic one here ... I have brought two what appeared to be bad condition CUCVs in non working order, and brought them back to life. Ones that I took a chance on. Now, granted - you are probably more conversative than me, which is fine - but I would bid on these if I was up in the area.

I am bringing back two "parts" CUCVs from Montgomery on Thursday ... if you decide to get this and win, I *may* have parts for you.

2 days left - GO FOR IT.

:D

-graham

mangus580

Have your friend go look for sure. Have her take as many pictures of it as she can. Look for things that are out of place, or missing, or just dont appear to be right. She may not know what to look for, but I bet she will be able to spot the obvious. Oh yeah, make sure she does a self portrait too. We wanna see what kinda woman can be conned into looking at MV's on a base like this [thumbzup]

Dont give up so easy :) 1009's are easy to work on, and pretty easy to get parts for. The body is the important part :)

JTZX

Thanks a lot guys. I thought it was looked pretty clean myself, especially the engine bay. I've actually seen it in person from a distance (drove past it many times) and I know exactly where it is since I was stationed at that base, and I always wondered to myself if they were going to auction it. I'll see if I can get a hold of the facility manager tomorrow and set up a time for her to look at it. Although it'll probably go for more than what I'd like to pay, I'll at least give it a shot.

As for my friend, she's not your normal woman. She LOVES football, we both ride crotchrockets, and she was not happy when I sold my 73 Nova SS a few months ago. When I asked her if she would check out the M1009 for me, without hesitation she said "no problem, just tell me when and where." She'll also let me store it in her garage until I can fly down, get it running, and drive it back here. She's a good woman. :D