• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 intake problems

sermis

Is there some type of reoccurring problem with the intake on the 6.2’s.
I went by my source and picked up a M1009 but the intake and injector pump have been removed. He had 4 other trucks and they were all the same, intake removed and sitting on top of the motor. 2 had the injector pumps on the front seat. The trucks have also been stripped of small stuff, headlights, tail lights, dash, steering column, etc. 2 other trucks were mostly complete and running but he is keeping them as ranch trucks. He also had a maintenance truck that might run with a little work, box is in bad shape.
My original plan is running gear under a 1959 Willies wagon project but now I am not sure if I don’t want to get this truck going as is.

Attachments

sermis

I have a 6.2 from a suburban with a bad crank. Will everything swap over?
Intent is also to convert to single 12 volt system.

sermis

Can someone post me a picture of the top of the motor?
Everything is removed from the truck. I have a civi motor out of a 82 suburban I am trying to strip and swap parts over.
The fuel system / filters are different.

sermis

I am loosing fuel out of the bottom of the silver fuel filter thing on the firewall.
Is there some type of drain on the bottom or is there something else wrong?
The truck had all the fluids drained including a drill hole in one of the freeze plugs.
Is there a second fuel filter on the truck? On the suburban there was a filter on the back side of the intake and a filter on the firewall. A lot of the parts are missing from the top of the motor including the glow plug relay along with wires cut. All of the fuses have been pulled from the panel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 82s have a different filter system. There is a drain on that filter assy on the firewall. Get yer key yet?

sermis

Got the key, Thanks. Works great. This is a learning curve on the CUCV / 6.2.
Any idea on the thread pitch for the drain plug? I tried several bolts, plugs, etc and nothing seamed to work.
I am going to need a starter. The one I have kind of drage and it just will not bust off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, there is another plug at the top of the filter base. You might be able to pull that and figure out the pitch.

sermis

Just need to plug the hole.
I am not sure if my injector pump is good or not as the truck it came off of has been sitting for several years.
I checked and I can get a rebuilt 6.2 pump for around $350. Might be able to get a 6.5 pump for the same.
Starter needs rebuilding and then we will see.

sermis

New starter installed. Plugged the filter leak.
I have fuel out of the vent on the top of the filter.
Jumped the injector pump and turned it over.
No go. Pulled #2 fuel line at the injector and no fuel out of the line.
Guess it is time for injector pump. Thinking about the 6.5 pump. I can get it for about the same price.
Which glow plug relay does it use? Auto parts store shows 2 in the book.

sermis

How hard is it to make a stand alone system for glow plugs?
I am going to pull the body and replace with the WILLIES so wireing will be from scratch.

peyton

sermis said:
How hard is it to make a stand alone system for glow plugs?
I am going to pull the body and replace with the WILLIES so wireing will be from scratch.
Dead simple. Go to:

www.dieselplace.com

A lot of discussion on it there ... and pics. Mind you, it is all civvy stuff but that is where you are headed with the Willys anyway.

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks