• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Key same as M1031?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK now I am really just needing to know for sure. Since I know all M1009 keys are alike my truck runs no key M1031 will need to be driven home by my boys. Can they use our M1009 key for it or not?

Thanks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The truck only has 14K miles on it so I was hoping that the ignition was the same. The add and members who looked at it told me it ran good so I am thinking even when they say no key they have one that works. I will tell my boys to take two copies one if it works and if not trade the GL rep for the one they started it with.

Thanks for you quick replys no if only GL and DLA could step it up we might get the truck home before the Rauch Creek Rally

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had that truck running (when we inspected all the trucks for that sale) with the standard CUCV key, so you should be good to go!

ssgtwright-usmc

Can always take out the lock cylinder and get the 4 digit key number from that or worse case buy a new lock and key cylinder and replace it but then again you would also have to do the same for the door locks.
Best bet is to get the key number from the cylinder and get one made from GM.

delfmast

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Can always take out the lock cylinder and get the 4 digit key number from that or worse case buy a new lock and key cylinder and replace it but then again you would also have to do the same for the door locks.
Best bet is to get the key number from the cylinder and get one made from GM.
Someone posted that the Blank is a B, and the code is 73Y2, since I am picking up at Anneville Friday, I asked my locksmith to make one, to take along. He says the 73Y2 code is for the door. Does anyone have the key code for the borrowed master key the government allows GL to use to start those that run, but are offered with no key. Can I get that key code in time to have one made. Locksmith says cylinder removal requires steering wheel removal. Is that true. Last post says 4 digit key number is on cylinder, how easy is removal, what is removal procedure. Grumpy

pc3nmcb

Re: RE: M1009 Key same as M1031?

delfmast said:
Someone posted that the Blank is a B, and the code is 73Y2, since I am picking up at Anneville Friday, I asked my locksmith to make one, to take along. He says the 73Y2 code is for the door. Does anyone have the key code for the borrowed master key the government allows GL to use to start those that run, but are offered with no key. Can I get that key code in time to have one made. Locksmith says cylinder removal requires steering wheel removal. Is that true. Last post says 4 digit key number is on cylinder, how easy is removal, what is removal procedure. Grumpy
That is the key code for the M1009 and m1008, the door key also fits ignition if it hasn't been changed.

pevrs114

RE: Re: RE: M1009 Key same as M1031?

My truck's ignition key is a standard oval-head GM door key, instead of the normal square-head ignition key that GM used for years. So I'd suggest that the door key is the correct one.

ssgtwright-usmc

The door locks and the ignition are keyed the same. This is why I said if you changed the ignition cylinder then you would also want to do the same for the door locks if you wanted the same key for both.
Taking the steering wheel off and changing out the cylinder can be done in about 30-45 minutes and that includes putting it back together.
You will need a steering wheel puller because you wont get the wheel off by meer muscle power.
You will also need a phillips head screw driver to unscrew the lock from its housing.
When installing a new cylinder, you need to insert it with the notch and groove thats inside the steering column.
While holding the cylinder you need to turn the outside of the cylinder to the (RUN) position while sliding it into the steering column.
If not, the cylinder will not sit in all the way and you will be cussing wondering why it wont go in.
You can buy the ignition cylinder and both door locks keyed together for about $25-$40 bucks from www.classicparts.com.
Dont buy from Chevy because you will pay $45 just for the cylinder. Go to Napa and you can get it for about $15
Oh, you will also need a socket wrench to take off the nut holding in the steering wheel.
Its a big nut, I want to say 1/2 inch maybe bigger.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This post is just like a bad day of fishing, when you hear, "you shoulda been here yesterday".
It seems like 7 confirmations posted above isn't enough. :cookoo:
I'm nearly speechless at the moment(sorry to add to this thread and thereby "up my rank")

BTY, at the upcoming Georgia rally, I plan to give an hour long demonstration, on The Multiple Uses for a, 73Y2 on a "B" blank key. (one guy in Tennessee just got his deuce unstuck with one) Bring a chair and a snack.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey Mike, maybe you better get out your 73Y2 on a "B" blank, and lock this thread up too! :wink:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just here to up my rank also. Only 65 more and I'm a 4 star!

jj

NOOOOO!!!!!! Not that! Don't remove the ranks! I've got nothing else in my life to entertain myself. Please! Not the ranks!

EO2NMCB

Any chance you could pick to have Navy rank instead, if it wasn't a big pain to do for the Mod's?

1956_4x4

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
OK now I am really just needing to know for sure. Since I know all M1009 keys are alike my truck runs no key M1031 will need to be driven home by my boys. Can they use our M1009 key for it or not?

Thanks
When you go to pick up your truck take a can of penetrating fluid with you. I took one of my "universal CUCV keys" with me, but could not get it to turn the tumbler cylinder. Since we had changed quite a few of the keys when I was in the service I figured this one had been rekeyed. I lined the trailer up with the front of the truck, put the transfer case in neutral and began to winch it on to the trailer. After jacking up the front end quite a few times and realigning the truck I finally got it on the trailer. When I went back inside the cab to put the transfer case in gear I tried the key again. Guess what, the key worked and the steering was free. If I had some penetrating fluid I could have saved a lot of work and time.

Did I mention that it was 103 degrees and very, very humid????

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks