• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 lift job

Hogg

Well I finally got around to getting the lift put on my M1009 last week... Its a 4" Rough Country, no major problems other than some rusty nuts and bolts. Couldnt have done it without Simoncrk's help and his shop and tools, so thanks again to him. Let me know what yall think, good, bad, or indifferent:driver:

Attachments

jimmy-90

Looks good!!! I was wondering about the rough country springs. I've heard that they give a pretty firm ride. Are you able to take turns without alot of body roll useing that kit?

Hogg

Thanks. Only had to extend the front pass side to a 22", used the bracket on the rear that came with the kit and the driver was fine

Hogg

Well Jimmy you asked the golden question, and the golden answer is I dont know because i havent driven it yet.... It seems to be pretty stiff, and Im sure its gonna have quiet a bit more body roll. Im gonna try to take it out one day this week and see how she does

Hogg

Thanks FortPlain. Me and a few buddies took it for a test spin the other day, and it actually rode really well... Wasnt near as choppy as I was expecting it to be, body roll didnt seem to be much of an issue. I'm really happy with it, now all I need to do is wear out those new 33's so I can get some 35's or 36's!!

Whitey

Question for you guys: Is the main reason you'd lift your CUCV for tire clearance, or for aesthetics? Personally I like the height of my 1009, but wouldn't mind slightly bigger tires.

Nico

generaly the lift springs that rough country use are the stiffest.

if you want quality and ride try tuff country or bds these 2 ride the best.
i confirm that, i got a bds kit with rancho 9000 shocks since 10 jears.
i like the smooth ride with the lower spring rate. for my opinion i like more the 3" look. fits perfect to 35" & 36" tires.

4 more information about the spring rate see this:

Spring Rate Table

nice work hogg!

Attachments

jimmy-90

Looks Good. I lifted mine with a body lift 5".
I don't want to completely highjack this thread but this is a very interesting vehicle you've got here Terryh. By body lift did you mean finder triming or literally a set of 5" spacers between the body and the frame? I normally don't really care much for finder triming but in your case those front finders turned out really really good. I also noticed that you de-fanged them. I did that to my civi blazer. Love the way that de-fanging the front makes those trucks look. Also what kind of tires are you useing? I haven't really seen any European vehicles with tires like that. They look very old scool American.

OL AG '89

You're gonna really enjoy the "NEW" truck with the lift. Mine is 4" with 33's and I think it's what the vehicle should of started life as. It rides great on the pavement and even better ofroad, just tall enough to clear most anything I choose to go over.
Whitey I lifted mine for functionality. It is a MUCH better offroad vehicle with the lift and more aggressive tread pattern. After i lifted it, I step back and really love the looks of it.

rnd-motorsports

Be careful with body lifts most states here in the us have laws agains useing the body lift. I would not recomend over a 2'' body lift with grade 8 bolts for safty reasons just my two cents seen alot of bad things over the years with body lifts going bad being in the 4x4 buisness. terryh not nocking your truck looks good! just stating not the safest way to lift. stop and think about it already a mount with rubber or a cushin not solid then you add heigth and the sheer force on the longer bolt just went up. not a good thing!

Terryh

I did think of the extra stress, I had some very high tensile bolts made. I have a 14" body lift on my other chev and have an anti role support system that helps hold the body. I lifted to fit the tryes, 40" x 17.5" x 15" that i got off a mate. It took about 3 hours to do. I used a fork lift truck to lift up the body. I did take pics when I done it.

Attachments