• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

DSCF5224.jpgBig empty barn bay. Need to get my Little Rad Riding Hood back home. It is thundering outside since 0600 this AM. DSCF5227.jpgDSCF5225.jpgDSCF5226.jpgI was admiring the stock clear windshield and checking out the tires. I could still say tires half over 1/2 tread. They may be 30 years old but they have over 1/2 tread. All matching 1/2 tread tires. I bought vehicles like that. Realistically it should say 4 matching tires look good clean when parked. Each one should be branded unsafe at any speed. DSCF5228.jpgThen I also could say I have a bench seat. Custom bench seat made of imported hardwoods. DSCF5229.jpgBut since the wood was probably from China, Malaysia, or the Philippines I could get bad feed back. So I can just say hard wood bench seat and be correct. All wood cut from managed wood lands. Anyway. Back in the barn with Little Rad. I think I will be sending it out for Line X as soon as I get an appointment. May not be correct but it sure puts the floor corrosion to bed permanently and seals the moisture out. DSCF5230.jpgDSCF5231.jpgSay Good Night Little Rad. Till next time.

cucvrus

I am more impatient than you are. I hate that M1009 sitting in my barn unassembled. One good thing it is in a time capsule. I will get it started and out again. I have great plans for that original M1009. I must get onto my current build and get onto that Little Red Riding Hood. Thank you for asking. I have great interest in it. Thank you for asking. I have 3 customers CUCV's setting here at the moment. No easy jobs either. Take Care. Stay tuned.

cucvrus

OK. Time to start looking into getting Little Red into the center bay. First I must unload the cargo area and unstack the wood I have stored on the floor under the M1009. I do not like wasted space. Storing things inside and under it are always a plus. do have a few things stored on top of it but only light non scratchy stuff. I have time to get this shuffled around a little at a time. At least this one will remain completely mobile and running. I done all the underside cleaning and painting 20 years ago. But as mentioned in my previous thread I will be changing the injection pump without question. This M1009 has 13K on it and since I had it for 20 + years I know it is original. More later.

acthomp781

I do have a question. You stated you did all the underside painting. Do you do any kind of sand blasting? I have a 1986 M1009 that I would like to paint the underside but there is a fair amount of surface rust. Thank you for your time.

cucvrus

Read this thread. Take the body off the frame. And Never, Never sand blast any components while they are attached to the truck in any way. You will be sorry. So my answer is remove the body from the truck. Powder blast but SAND. No it will blow a rusty M1009 to pieces and you will have sand in every piece of the truck. If it is that rusty it needs to come apart anyway to do the work. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/1986-cucv-m1009-decade-after-being-wrecked.173878/

Good Luck. Friends don't let friends sand blast intact CUCV's.

acthomp781

Read this thread. Take the body off the frame. And Never, Never sand blast any components while they are attached to the truck in any way. You will be sorry. So my answer is remove the body from the truck. Powder blast but SAND. No it will blow a rusty M1009 to pieces and you will have sand in every piece of the truck. If it is that rusty it needs to come apart anyway to do the work. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/1986-cucv-m1009-decade-after-being-wrecked.173878/

Good Luck. Friends don't let friends sand blast intact CUCV's.
Thank you.

cucvrus

Green Machines are moving out of my property in a few years or less. When I am completed I will have my Tractors and other equipment in the barn. I will be cleaning out my stash of CUCV parts and marketing them when I complete the 2 remaining M1009's I have. I am thinking about completing my last M1009 as a stock unit vs chopping the roof and making a full convertible. That is where I am leaning at this point. I was in the barn today and was doing a look see at the fender inventory. I think I have that covered. I may still do customer work but pick and choose what I get involved in.

cucvrus

WOW. I think it is time I get down off of scaffold and working on Little Red. This CUCV thread needs some action. Nothing entered since Monday. That can be good and bad. Good that everyone's CUCV is up and running in factory condition. Bad if every CUCV is beyond repair and they have given up on the whole project. But I need to get the ball rolling and get Little Red from it's resting place and in my shop. Little Red at least runs and drives and I can move it around in and out as needed. Take Care I hope all is well. Be Safe.

cucvrus

OH Yea and pictures of the project as it happens. I know you all like to look at my CUCV work as it happens. Thank you for the positive support. And negative it helps me work on improvement. The CUCV rebuilding barn is currently down for refurbishment. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Today was a very productive day. I was able to clean up my barn yard and rid myself of the M1008 engine swap vehicle. I also was able to find a 1984 CUCV air cleaner housing. I needed one of these for my Little Red project and it was right in front of my face the whole time. Seek and ye shall find. I still have things missing in my barn and sheds that I know is out there. A little cleaning and some paint and it will be good as new. A minor detail to some but very important to me and the new owner when it is complete. I think it just got mixed up when I was cleaning the engine compartment 20 years ago and I never noticed. I mean an air cleaner is an air cleaner. NOT. A 1984 should have the 1984 emissions date and a 1986 should have the 1986 emissions date. Take Care and Be Safe. P1000294.JPGP1000295.JPG

cucvrus

I made a promise to get working on Little Red over the holiday weekend. I had not taken into account the amount of scaffold boards and other material that had accumulated under it, on it, and inside of it. My Son moved and had totes of children's clothing stored in the cargo area. I also have about 25- 2 x 10 scaffold boards stored under it. I was sad to see the new batteries I installed were 2016. Not new anymore. Oh well. They done what I wanted them to do. Keep the engine exercised once a month. I missed a few months but it matter not. I left the charger on the batteries and will attempt this week to get the truck over in the production bay. Still cleaning up a large hard Maple tre that has severe trunk damage from a storm that blew thru here 2 Fridays ago. Take Care and enjoy the Labor Day holiday. P1000314.JPGP1000315.JPGP1000317.JPGP1000318.JPGP1000319.JPGOh and I did install quad shock on the front end. All genuine GM bracket parts when they were still available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks