• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Little Red Riding Hood.

cucvrus

I guess when I take all facts into consideration the old 1958 air compressor is doing pretty good. I did do the Honda engine upgrade in 2007. The compressor was brand new in the crate till 1995 and I got it from a friend that purchased it from DRMO. The old Briggs and Stratton IMG_0156.jpeg Moving right along .IMG_0155.jpeg IMG_0155.jpegIMG_0154.jpegIMG_0157.jpeg

Last edited:

cucvrus

This will be all for 1 day. I am closing up the shop/barn and calling it a successful day. It started bad and got worse but I was able to get the job done. IMG_0162.jpeg IMG_0165.jpegIMG_0164.jpeg IMG_0166.jpeg IMG_0167.jpegIMG_0168.jpeg I was able to open the hood, doors, and tailgate and make sure I did not have any nasty gray sealer in the jambs. Nothing a minor mist of green could not cover. Minor overspray. Fixed. Thank you for the positive support and I hope to get some rest now. My goal has been met after a long hot summer and a difficult year.

cucvrus

I use a $20. Harbor Freight gun on the black and brown and a $34. Harbor Freight on the green. I have been using the $20. gun for the past 3 years. I have good Devilbiss and Sharp guns, but they are just hard to clean and have been used for years. If these don't work, I toss them in the scrap and get another one. I still do my best keep them clean. Water base paint makes it easier and less expensive.

cucvrus

It was like Christmas unwrapping the treasure. I have no faith in tape on new paint. When it gets stuck on the paint it gets hard to get off. Taping the flat paint requires the standard 3M masking tape. The yellow and blue do not hold as well as I like. I I taped the entire vehicle and saved the cardboard cut outs for my next project. IMG_0184.jpeg IMG_0185.jpegIMG_0181.jpeg I have a lot of assembly work ahead of me and will start at the front and work my way back on the outside first. I have painted parts everywhere and it would be nice to get them safely back on the vehicle and out of my center barn bay. I don’t let anyone over there unsupervised.IMG_0179.jpeg Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Jealous of how nice your tailgate and bed floor is, I'm scared one day my tailgate will decide to jump ship.
The tailgate is the easy part. A lot of the M1009's I see have rear threshold issues and the area where the hinges mount is completely rotted away. Once you get into repairing the rear crossmember and floor area you have a huge project on your hands. You can't just hop in there and replace the parts you have the frame, fuel tank and tedious task of getting everything aligned and the tailgate fitting correctly in the end. I see the misalignment and poor fit on all types of vehicles that have had rockers and other body panels replaced. It takes a lot of time and patience. And to be fair most people don't realize the effects of a mis aligned body panel. Back to what I said. The bolt on gate is the easy part. Good you have a gate to start with. You could easily get $1500-2000 starting with no gate and trying to build one. Many of the parts are not available anymore and the ones that are available are expensive. Good Luck and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I guess when I take all facts into consideration the old 1958 air compressor is doing pretty good. I did do the Honda engine upgrade in 2007. The compressor was brand new in the crate till 1995 and I got it from a friend that purchased it from DRMO. The old Briggs and Stratton View attachment 907512 Moving right along.View attachment 907513 View attachment 907513View attachment 907514
I went to the Amish air compressor store last night and bought a new pop off safety valve and a ball valve for the tank drain. All the parts were $20. I have heard that safety leaking for 20 years. it progressively got worse but Saturday when I fixed the broken fitting that was the only leak, I could hear after the repairs. That pipe fitting was cracked and leaking for many years also. I just ignored it and ran the compressor. Like anything else everything needs to be cared for and maintained. I changed the oils and drained the tank, but I ignored the minor air leaks, and they were a fairly simple fix. After going to the Amish store, I decided to sell my gasoline air compressor and buy an electric one. The Amish were sure interested in this 15 CFM air compressor. Springtime will be the time to get that installed. Take Care. Home - Keystone Tools & Supply (keystonetoolrepair.com)
1697189151594.png

cucvrus

I worked 0500-1200 today and it rained the whole time. I came home and decided it was time to start a fire to heat the house. I needed to clean my basement surgical work bench up so I can clean and service all the parts as I put them back into the M1009 Little Red. The wiring will be the first thing I bring in to check out and clean. It has never been cut so it will just be a matter of cleaning and retaping if needed. No modifications to this harness . None needed. IMG_0216.jpeg
The Cat is checking it out.
During this time of year I burn the waste wood from the splitter area. IMG_0215.jpeg
Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

Now that I have the M1009 down this far I think I will replace the firewall insulation. Anyone here have any experience?
Brothers Trucks FWIP087 Brothers Trucks Firewall Insulation Pad (holley.com)
Everything I am looking at looks very generic and looks like it will look questionable when installed. I would hate to buy one and hack it up getting everything cut and properly installed. Maybe the bare look is coming into style. I doubt an OEM one is available. They probably threw a whole dumpster of them away because they were obsolete. I am not putting gawdy aluminum foil backed sound deadener in. Have a Great Day and share reasonable thoughts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks