• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Lockout hub bolt question, not a allen bolt.

K9Vic

I looked and did not really see what I was looking for and figured someone would know my answer quickly.

How do you remove these hubs that do not have the allen bolt? Oddly my driver side has the common allen bot you would see, but my passenger side does not. Also looks like I have two different Hub makes, so one probably was replaced but not both. I want to just replace them with 1/4 turn Warn Hubs.

You can see the difference in the images below, passenger side is first.

Attachments

Not sure what's holding that on then. Did you hit it with the Chevy tool and maybe a little heat? Undo the remaining screw for starters. I've worked on lots of hubs, and can't see how that is staying on unless adhesive was used. Weird.

K9Vic

I have not attempted to remove my hubs yet and nothing has changed on my front axles. I just noticed it was like this last weekend when I checked my brakes. I was planning on doing this project over the weekend and was getting my new hubs tomorrow.

The first time I did my front wheel bearings, I noticed that all the screws holding the hub on were missing on one side, and it was being held in place with a truly excessive amount of silicone sealant. It could be a couple coats of CARC paint holding it on there.

Also, the 'remaining screw' in the center holds part of the hub together; do NOT remove it unless you want to see the insides of your hub fall out in the driveway, and get a crash education in how to put it back together.

Last edited:
The first time I did my front wheel bearings, I noticed that all the screws holding the hub on were missing on one side, and it was being held in place with a truly excessive amount of silicone sealant.
I can't believe someone would do that, but something like that is my suspicion here.

But how would it have stayed on after original install without the allens, unless someone just decided to take them off way down the road?

Either way, shouldn't be hard to get it off, especially compared to some other things on the truck (e.g. everything around the kingpins).

K9Vic

Well I just checked and sure enough the blots are truely missing as I took one from the other side and threaded it on all missing places. So I will need to get some bolts from the fastener store in the morning just incase I do not get to replacing the hubs this weekend. I too can not believe that they are missing and did not come off after all the intense 4X4 driving I have done. Thanks for the info and I will be taking my car to work tonight.

rnd-motorsports

Just for your info delt with a lot of lockouts the 1/4 turn ones are not the way to go. They turn harder unlocking and tend to bind more about the same locking most of time If you can find full turn or the 3/4 turn lockouts like you have you will like them alot better I recomend the superwinch locking hubs they may cost a little more but last alot longer then even warn hubs. The part number for your truck is sup400518 they dont use the plastic's the other do 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks