• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Low Idle Shake

tgtaylor64

Need some direction on solving this problem. Stock 1984 M1009 from GL. Runs great except for the shake/shimmy at low idle. Not too noticeable at cold start-up fast idle. When it switches to low idle the motor shakes the front end and sounds like it is skipping. Lots of smoke. Motor mounts look OK. Replaced all the injectors last week with no change in behavior! Not noticeable at speed, very smooth running. I have checked the fuel lines and tightened all of the fuel connections. Do you suspect an air leak somewhere? Where are the usual suspects? Fuel filter is stock. Could it be starving at low idle?

nyoffroad

It's not starving for fuel cause it runs good at a higher rpm.
Possible air leak, but the rough idle would go away at higher rpm and then return SLOWLY at idle.
What is the idle RPM? Could it be as simple as turning the idle speed up a quarter or half turn?
Worst case I can think of would be low compression on one cyl. That could be the cause of the skip and smoke.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run all my 6.2s a little higher on idle. Low idle will rattle the filaments out of the headlights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks