• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, Marietta area, Voltmeter needle going to red on right side of meter.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I just recently replaced the passenger side alternator (and the 2-wire plastic connector.) and rear battery because they went bad.

Now the truck starts and runs, however the voltmeter needle on the instrument cluster stays in the green to the far right,
until I put the gas pedal down, then it goes to the red on the right side of the meter.

What do you think could be happening? Overcharging I think, or perhaps the voltmeter is going out, and misreading
(I was told not too long ago that it may be going bad). And how do I fix it?

Also, is there anyone in the Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna area, that has a meter, and may be able to come out,
and test the batteries, alternators for proper output? and how much would you charge? I am willing to pay.
I do not expect anything for free.

I need this truck running properly as soon as possible, so I can commute to work.

Thank you.

Please contact me here, or on my cell at: 404-670-0109, you can text me at that number as well...

GOD bless you, Amen.

CycleJay aka Jay

Last edited:

cpf240

Agreed. Look for the Harbor Freight coupons, they often have a cheap DVM for free with any purchase. You'll need to get voltage measurements to be determine what is going on.

CycleJay

By the way,

Thank you guys for suggesting I get a voltmeter to run tests... Which I will do asap.

However, an answer to my question about what is going on, and how do I fix it? would of been greatly appreciated.
Because I really needed to know, and need to get this truck running properly asap.

God bless you, Amen.

CJ

cpf240

Without a meter, it is hard to say, given that you said the volt meter in the truck is suspect. If it is reading correctly, then yes, it looks to be an over-charging condition.

Without a way to test the output of the alts, you might want to pull them and have them tested. Just because one is new, doesn't mean it is working properly...

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow4,

So, does that mean that maybe one of the alternators is outputting too much?

Thank you, for the reply.

CJ
Yes, get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the batteries. The driver side alternator charges the front battery and the passenger side alternator charges the rear battery. Check the voltage at each battery at idle and also while running the engine at higher rpm.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swing by the Harbor Freight store closest to you (I see two) in your area and just by the cheapest meter they have or it may be in a sale flyer for free.

Throw it in the truck to have with you all the time.

KansasBobcat

Swing by the Harbor Freight store closest to you (I see two) in your area and just by the cheapest meter they have or it may be in a sale flyer for free.

Throw it in the truck to have with you all the time.
Great idea to carry voltmeter since electrical problems seem common with CUCVs. I am going to get 2 inexpensive ones to carry.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thank you for the advice... I will visit harbor freight as soon as time allows... And get a voltmeter..
I have been working alot of overtime lately and only have the weekends free to work on my truck...

However, is there anyone in the Marietta, Smyrna, Kennesaw area, that can stop by and assist me with this?
I would be willing to pay. I do not expect anything for free. So I can learn how to do that, and do it correctly.

So in the future if I have this kind of problem, I will know what to do...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated... Then as you guys suggest, I will keep the meter in my truck.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a working volt gauge for the instrument cluster in my truck?
or any links to someplace on-line I can get one?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. GOD bless you. Amen.

Cyclejay

P.s. You can always email me directly at cyclejay1967@gmail.com.
To as well..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks