• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 military camouflage vehicle paint scheme adapt / repair / change

Elektroman99

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I have a very "stupid" or naive beginner's question.

Is it possible to customize the paint on a M1009 with military camouflage vehicle?

For example, if it is the standard military US Woodland (black, brown, green) camouflage vehicle paint. According to my research this is exactly the same as the camouflage camouflage paint of the German Army "matt". I think that the actual color is a bit different, right? Is there an internationally applicable color code for the Woodland Camoueflage finish of the 80's?

Is there anything more modest to be considered in the various touch-up paint jobs?

• If I only want to "cover" lettering, how would I have to proceed?
  • If I have repaired rust spots and pre-treated them with light-colored primer, how then?
  • If I were to paint newly welded and sanded metal sheets, and apply light primer here as well, would there be a difference?

Are the US Army Woodland colors of the 80's available in "spray cans" packages or just as a color mixture in other fillings?
Can anyone provide further links / tutorials or other information here?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum area, but I think this is the best place to post.

Yours faithfully
Bernd

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good afternoon gentlemen,

I have a very "stupid" or naive beginner's question.

Is it possible to customize the paint on a M1009 with military camouflage vehicle?

For example, if it is the standard military US Woodland (black, brown, green) camouflage vehicle paint. According to my research this is exactly the same as the camouflage camouflage paint of the German Army "matt". I think that the actual color is a bit different, right? Is there an internationally applicable color code for the Woodland Camoueflage finish of the 80's?

Is there anything more modest to be considered in the various touch-up paint jobs?

• If I only want to "cover" lettering, how would I have to proceed?
  • If I have repaired rust spots and pre-treated them with light-colored primer, how then?
  • If I were to paint newly welded and sanded metal sheets, and apply light primer here as well, would there be a difference?

Are the US Army Woodland colors of the 80's available in "spray cans" packages or just as a color mixture in other fillings?
Can anyone provide further links / tutorials or other information here?

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum area, but I think this is the best place to post.

Yours faithfully
Bernd
Hi Bernd,

Let me start off by saying that I am not a paint and body man. Just offering observations and possibilities worthy of consideration:

First and maybe most important is a Technical Bulletin TB-43-0209 Paint, Color, Marking, Camouflage that even has "paint by number" pages that show patterns to use on different vehicles. It should be posted in our TM section on this site. I also attached it here - because my search came back with ten pages and said that "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: TB, 43".

Here in the states, we can go to our local paint stores and they seem to be able to build the three colors.

My PERSONAL EXPERIENCE matching existing paint say that "it isn't going to happen.. Sun fade and age just won't allow that to happen. It could be "close enough" but that depends on you and your opinion. Paint prep is the most important part of it staying on the truck. Sounds like you already know that though based on your post.

RAPCO makes darn fine rattle cans of spray paint. There have been several discussions on this site about their products. Too glossy was one comment - but honestly - it looks pretty good to me. I have been repairing rust, rattle can painting, then repair the next spot. It could be that when I finally complete my repairs that the whole truck gets painted. Or not...

Good luck on your paint project!

Tim

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks