• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 New to me...

AFGVET

So my M1009 CUCV odessy with this, my first M1009, started in early 2017 after I got back from Afghanistan.
It started with a conversation with a friend -A story that starts like many others, right?-
He had this "Army Blazer."
He was going to build it up for his son, but the kid started dating girls and wanted a flashier car.
Sometime between when he got it and when he was telling me about it he had lost the paperwork from the government auctioneer.
He spoke of how solid it was and how good the mechanics of it was (only 8,400 miles on it, but had a rebuilt engine from TACOM from operator damage). The only thing it needed was a dashboard and some window seals. So after a number of conversations I bought it from him.
But he had to go through getting the title. He assured me that he could "get it done." No problems right?

And this would be great. I would build it up the way I wanted it. I would spray in some ceramic and sound coating on it. (CUCVs are loud and hot) and maybe I would even put in a Vintage Air system on it because NM is HOT! A few other things too like rekeying the locks, put in a military multiprong power plug for my HellFighter light from Surefire, maybe better seats too...
Yup, it would be great.

Well 2017 turned to 2018 and I finally asked him if he wouldn't mind if I took over getting the title.
I worked through a title company and after a number of months of back and forth, I had a Florida title.
Problem was he was in Pennsylvania and that's where I wanted to initially plate it. Working through him it would only take a few weeks.
Well he legitimately had a family emergency. Weeks turned into months.
But at the same time he was assuring me that when he could get sometime he would get some of the few things I wanted to do done.
He assured me at very least he could get the dash, windows seals done.
Well, 2018 had become 2019, which became 2020 and with COVID everything was frozen.
(I would have thought there would have been lots of "project time" for him to knock this out, but no.)

Well I got called on to Active Duty in DEC of 2020 and came back to Ft Bragg NC.
Hey, it was good move and closer to PA than NM. Finally, I would get my truck.
But interesting thing with the Army, you have to get leave to go places. Well I had to build up some leave, then things got delayed.
I got my orders extended before I could get the truck. It would have to come down to me.

2022 would turn into the year, and with some effort, funds and begging I got the Blazer down here in the middle of the night back in February.

The next day I saw off my long time friend and that afternoon I took a look at the Blazer.
Whoa, that is some rust there... But I was in denial. That rust isn't that bad I thought.
Denial had finally faded off after some time and I now know it needs lots of work.
Well guess that the odessy continues.

Here are some pictures
20220311_073603.jpg
Damage on the passenger side.
20220315_171029.jpg
Tailgate and L rear.
20220315_171810.jpg20220315_171842.jpg

20220315_172506.jpg

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, that looks like mine...it took a good while to replace all the rockers and floor but we've never done it before. Good thing is parts are not that expensive and a basic mig welder gets the job done nice. Sounds like it took a long commitment to get it too! Good luck on the project!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dang, that looks like mine...it took a good while to replace all the rockers and floor but we've never done it before. Good thing is parts are not that expensive and a basic mig welder gets the job done nice. Sounds like it took a long commitment to get it too! Good luck on the project!
Yep. There are guys here with skills and there might even be a better body you could find with a little searching. @cucvrus might be a good source or a good contact for some of what you need.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Could've got my son on it to do now that his is about done! Rick has a bunch of parts too.
Yessir! I would really like to have one of those trucks.

On the other hand, I will stand up and say loudly that I don't do body work. I have tried it in days gone by and have never been happy with the quality of my work.

If I can ever find one, that part of the rebuild will already be done. Turning wrenches. No problem. Trying to straighten a body panel... Nope. I've tried.

cucvrus

The thing you must do up front is ask yourself. Do you want a trailer queen or do you want a survivor that has a few good strong patches and everything works and operates as designed. I had a few real puss bucket M1009's and I patched them up and drove the pants off of them off road and on. I focused on drivability, reliability, and made everything operate as designed. No hacking wires, adding big tires and a lift kit. Just sticking to the basic design and taking aesthetics as second seat. I fixed what I could the best I could with a low budget and repurposing what ever I could. I riveted, Bolt, welded and added things to add strength to weak areas. Check out my Terminus M1009 thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/terminus-m1009.144523/page-5#lg=post-1779366&slide=3
Read and see I did most of these repairs to the body and I spent time and a little money on it. Mostly time and thought. I am resourceful when it comes to salvaging things and utilizing the used discarded parts I find along life's trail. I always see things as positive until they are useless and then I recycle or burn the items for heat. But the M1009 you have can be repaired and after it is repaired on the inside floor it can be top coated with a name brand spray in liner at a professional shop and last a long time. No for ever but a long time. I drove Terminus M1009 for a few years after it was left for dead at a scrap yard and 2-3 vehicles away from the crusher. The snow plow saved it from the crusher and I gave it 7+ more years after the rescue. But I see the M1009 you have as repairable and field worthy. No show boat but none the less a good survivor M1009. Good Luck and Take Care. Remember it has value and you can fix things with out throwing money at everything you have.

AFGVET

Yessir! I would really like to have one of those trucks.
On the other hand, I will stand up and say loudly that I don't do body work. I have tried it in days gone by and have never been happy with the quality of my work.
If I can ever find one, that part of the rebuild will already be done. Turning wrenches. No problem. Trying to straighten a body panel... Nope. I've tried.
Mullaney,
Roger, I am about the same in the set of automotive skills. Besides even if I could do body work, I live in on-post housing. I cannot have a vehicle disassembled in my yard or the parking areas. As far as the MWR auto-skills shop, they do not allow any body work on vehicles with CARC paint. Apparently, its a health issue and they are especially ardent on that point. Even to the extent I cannot go back there until I have all that flaking body rust (with the CARC paint chips) repaired before I go back in there.

Bottom Line: I will have to find someone to do the body work.

AFGVET

The thing you must do up front is ask yourself. Do you want a trailer queen or do you want a survivor that has a few good strong patches and everything works and operates as designed. I had a few real puss bucket M1009's and I patched them up and drove the pants off of them off road and on. I focused on drivability, reliability, and made everything operate as designed. No hacking wires, adding big tires and a lift kit. Just sticking to the basic design and taking aesthetics as second seat. I fixed what I could the best I could with a low budget and repurposing what ever I could. I riveted, Bolt, welded and added things to add strength to weak areas. Check out my Terminus M1009 thread. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/terminus-m1009.144523/page-5#lg=post-1779366&slide=3
Read and see I did most of these repairs to the body and I spent time and a little money on it. Mostly time and thought. I am resourceful when it comes to salvaging things and utilizing the used discarded parts I find along life's trail. I always see things as positive until they are useless and then I recycle or burn the items for heat. But the M1009 you have can be repaired and after it is repaired on the inside floor it can be top coated with a name brand spray in liner at a professional shop and last a long time. No for ever but a long time. I drove Terminus M1009 for a few years after it was left for dead at a scrap yard and 2-3 vehicles away from the crusher. The snow plow saved it from the crusher and I gave it 7+ more years after the rescue. But I see the M1009 you have as repairable and field worthy. No show boat but none the less a good survivor M1009. Good Luck and Take Care. Remember it has value and you can fix things with out throwing money at everything you have.
CUCVRUS,
I hear what you are saying.
As far as what I want, a frame-off, super resto is not what I want (even if I could afford it.)
Most likely somewhere in between a trailer-queen and Terminus.

I want the body work done to the point there are not big ole holes in the vehicle and it doesn't leak water.
I agree with your thinking about a liner. I will want to do the inside floor with a liner for sound and heat, maybe even under-coating.
And yeah, I am a bit needy, I would like to get a dashboard in it. Re-key the locks so its secure, and then fix the camo on the outside.
Beyond that, it was my intention to make her a go out in the hills and knock around truck. (Thats why I want to find an electrical guy to wire up power for the HellFighter light.)

Now that I am back on AD, the soldiers and other NCOs I am with see me as "old and crusty." It could be that with my service in the National Guard (and how promotions work there) I have more time in grade as a Sergeant First Class as my First Sergeant has time in the Army.
One kid said: "When he got in Army weapons still had wood on them..."
Yeah and your point is?
So, I though I would drive it into work every so often (but with fuel being sixty million dollars a gallon, maybe not.)

Last edited:

cucvrus

Fixing it is easy if that is your goal. And I have been working with CARC for over 27 years. Like anything I am not doing it 24/7. But if you are not fussy and in a hurry it could be repaired with a minimum of expenditure. But if you pay someone the costs add up quickly. I never fixed my own stuff on an hourly wage. If I did I wouldn't be able to afford the repairs. It has to be a labor of love. I crush rocks with a machine I spent several thousand dollars to build. If I figured my time I wouldn't be able to afford it. And buying crushed stone is cheaper. But you gotta love what you do. And I do things the hard way all the time with great results. Good Luck. If you were closer I would give a hand and good ideas for you. Most stuff I seen in the pictures in easy enough to fix. Welding is a great option. Many times I don't have access to a welder so I braze and rivet. A patch is a patch. Cut clean and neatly formed it matter not how it is attached. Take Care.

C130guy

On the bright side it looks a lot better than the Minnesota M1009 I picked up last year. Mine was a complete rust bucket and there were pretty much no rockers, wheel arches or bed left. (Been meaning to put up a thread on my progress) You got a project ahead of you, but keep your head up.
Since you mentioned that base housing doesn't allow you to do vehicle work, how hard would it be to get a place off base and collect BAH? I know the current housing market is pretty nuts and not sure of your units policy, but it in a perfect world it would be pretty sweet to get a place that cost less than your BAH and use the rest for CUCV funds. Haha.
Or another thought is to get so know some people in the area that have a somewhere you can grind and weld away til that sucker is solid. Before I bought my M1009 I never touched a welder or did bodywork. Luckily there's YouTube university and I learned a lot from there. Also this place is a goldmine for information. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent reading here and learning, especially from cucvrus' posts. It's a lot of work getting them running but very rewarding.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a bit better condition. It has the usual cracked dash. The door panels are loose and the seats have had the tarnation stomped out of them. When I got it, it still had carpeting and insulation. After pulling everything out I trashed the carpet and insulation. There were a few very small rust holes under the driver seat. As I’m still working up the courage to weld, I came up with a temp solution. I scrubbed all the rust from each hole down to bare metal. I then cleaned up the hole with brake cleaner. After that I used what we call speed tape. It’s metal tape used for a variety of applications. We used it to patch cracked rotor blade trailing edges. I saw some over at Lowe’s in the appliance section. I sprayed some rusty metal primer on them and once dry applied small patches to each hole. Then I painted the whole area with flat black. One of these days in the near future I’m going to do a frame up resto.
Short story: when I was on active duty AF, my job had me traveling to and from a nearby NG post. Once on post, I couldn’t drive my POV out to the ranges. They’d check me out a M1009 and I’d use it to zip around the post. That truck must have gotten transferred after I retired and ended up getting sold through DRMO (gov planet predecessor). I found it at a used car dealer for $3500. No way was I spending that much! I gave them a few weeks to stew on it then I approached them. I made an offer of $1200. I listed everything wrong with it. We compromised at $1650. It was still too expensive but it means a great deal to me. It’s in the que for repair/rebuild. Once I get done with a few other projects…

Attachments

AFGVET

On the bright side it looks a lot better than the Minnesota M1009 I picked up last year. Mine was a complete rust bucket and there were pretty much no rockers, wheel arches or bed left. (Been meaning to put up a thread on my progress) You got a project ahead of you, but keep your head up.
Since you mentioned that base housing doesn't allow you to do vehicle work, how hard would it be to get a place off base and collect BAH? I know the current housing market is pretty nuts and not sure of your units policy, but it in a perfect world it would be pretty sweet to get a place that cost less than your BAH and use the rest for CUCV funds. Haha.
Or another thought is to get so know some people in the area that have a somewhere you can grind and weld away til that sucker is solid. Before I bought my M1009 I never touched a welder or did bodywork. Luckily there's YouTube university and I learned a lot from there. Also this place is a goldmine for information. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent reading here and learning, especially from cucvrus' posts. It's a lot of work getting them running but very rewarding.
C130Guy,
Off post housing is always more desirable.
But find a place AND save money?
I don't know your situation but if you are doing that, that's awesome.
When we got here places were insanely, I say INSANELY, overpriced not just to buy but rent too. That is if we were anywhere near Ft Bragg, and with fuel prices I am glad we are on base.
The younger soldiers are the ones who are desperately screwed that are living off base; They got in a bad spot with high rent, then with the cost of fuel they're slammed and are Phooked!
-For a PFC (off base, not in barrracks) with 3-4 years in, they are only just making over 30K a year and that is with jump pay. If they also have a kid or kids they can't generally afford to get a newer car (that they would have to borrow on) and that gets good mileage. Most of them have 10 year old, or more, cars.

But I diverge...
I am lucky to be where I am.
As far as finding someone to let me park the Blazer AND work on her, that's a tall order for two reasons.
1. They have to pass that by their HH6.
2. I have to pass that (spending more hours from home every other day and weekend) by my HH6.
And I could do the welding. Its been a few years, but I know how to Stick, MIG, and somewhat TIG weld, but again it comes down to where? And moreso when?
M/W/F I am up and out by 0600hr.
Last year I left the office (yeah, I am staff FAG [Former Action Guy]) about 1700hr most days.
After some jackass started doing things in Europe I am at work sometimes until 2000hr. Today I am home really early because they sent us home because we lost power.
So I will have to find someone to do the work on her while I grind away in the G33: The Plan's dungeons of the Army.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine is a bit better condition. It has the usual cracked dash. The door panels are loose and the seats have had the tarnation stomped out of them. When I got it, it still had carpeting and insulation. After pulling everything out I trashed the carpet and insulation. There were a few very small rust holes under the driver seat. As I’m still working up the courage to weld, I came up with a temp solution. I scrubbed all the rust from each hole down to bare metal. I then cleaned up the hole with brake cleaner. After that I used what we call speed tape. It’s metal tape used for a variety of applications. We used it to patch cracked rotor blade trailing edges. I saw some over at Lowe’s in the appliance section. I sprayed some rusty metal primer on them and once dry applied small patches to each hole. Then I painted the whole area with flat black. One of these days in the near future I’m going to do a frame up resto.
Short story: when I was on active duty AF, my job had me traveling to and from a nearby NG post. Once on post, I couldn’t drive my POV out to the ranges. They’d check me out a M1009 and I’d use it to zip around the post. That truck must have gotten transferred after I retired and ended up getting sold through DRMO (gov planet predecessor). I found it at a used car dealer for $3500. No way was I spending that much! I gave them a few weeks to stew on it then I approached them. I made an offer of $1200. I listed everything wrong with it. We compromised at $1650. It was still too expensive but it means a great deal to me. It’s in the que for repair/rebuild. Once I get done with a few other projects…
That's a nice story!
Especially since you were able to find and own the truck you drove at the NG.

cucvrus

1648903663252.png
This is a 5-year-old picture of my old M1009. This M1009 did not have a straight panel on it and was stacked on top of another M1009 when I bought it at a scrap sale. It was a FITG 28 infantry vehicle. It had no tires, wheels, starter. or alternators on it when I bought it. That was in 2002 and I drove it till I sold it in 2018. It was the perfect vehicle for my woods work and all-around use. It did not have a straight panel on it. Good vehicle. I used it every week for utilitarian jobs and 4 wheeled it at Rausch Creek many times. The Goodyear MTR tires made the vehicle unstoppable. I decided to downsize and sold it in 2018. Never really looked back. I use my new truck to do the same things now except no Rausch Creek for my new truck. Take care and fix up what you have. Take your time and get creative. Stay with the same stock design and it will last for years. And yes I worked on many things on my truck many times. I just kept it basic. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks