• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 no lights

major519

Had the M1009 out recently after sitting for a few months on a shakedown tour. After charging up flat batteries, she started right up and ran well.
No issues. Checked to make sure all the lighting was working great, no issue.
Had it out a day later, returning from work when I noticed that the lights were not illuminated although they were turned on.
Before someone jumps on me about the Service light switch, yes it was on, is on and has been checked.
No lights, nada. Brake, signals headlights etc.
What’s going on?
Thanks Chris

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the M1009 out recently after sitting for a few months on a shakedown tour. After charging up flat batteries, she started right up and ran well.
No issues. Checked to make sure all the lighting was working great, no issue.
Had it out a day later, returning from work when I noticed that the lights were not illuminated although they were turned on.
Before someone jumps on me about the Service light switch, yes it was on, is on and has been checked.
No lights, nada. Brake, signals headlights etc.
What’s going on?
Thanks Chris
High probability it's the 30 amp fuse that runs all that stuff...it will probably test ok but the connection in the box is melted...very common...I use a 90 degree pick and flatten out the 2 contacts in the box so the fuse gets full contact of each side so it decreases resistance. You have regular headlights or led? If you are keeping the halogen bulbs there are relay kits out there to replace the main power so it doesn't go through that fuse and melt the box. I use the led ones so the amp draw is very little in comparison to halogen.

major519

High probability it's the 30 amp fuse that runs all that stuff...it will probably test ok but the connection in the box is melted...very common...I use a 90 degree pick and flatten out the 2 contacts in the box so the fuse gets full contact of each side so it decreases resistance. You have regular headlights or led? If you are keeping the halogen bulbs there are relay kits out there to replace the main power so it doesn't go through that fuse and melt the box. I use the led ones so the amp draw is very little in comparison to halogen.
I really appreciate your reply.
As I was trying to diagnose this issue from a distance (not home while the missus is out and about with the Blazer) I was looking for the simple answer.
Well, my friend, you gave it to me. She sent me a pic of the 30A fuze cooked to a crisp and the fuze block melted..
You suggest that this is a common issue with the CUCV? Please enlighten me further on the topic.
Is it advisable to completely change out the fuze block and why is it susceptible to overheating like this? Maybe a GM thing?
I have original Halogens and was considering the switch to LED headlights anyway as the originals suck big time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks