• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, no vacuum from VRV, no 2-3 shift

flewbyu

Hi fellas. Couple weeks ago my 2-3 shift went away. Just had a chance to start looking at it, and here's where you tranny guys come in.
I had a split vacuum hose, and replaced it, along with the Modulator. Still no vacuum at modulator, so I continued TSing. I have plenty of vacuum at bottom port of VRV, but 0 vacuum out of top port (to modulator). Is it possible the adjustment is so far out as to be completely turned off? Where can I buy a new VRV if needed? This thing is DRINKING fuel, which comes as no surprise. It will not shift to 3rd at all, and I have pushed it up to 60+ MPH...

csramsey640

#1 try to reverse the vacuum lines on the VRV, if you havent already. Then I would even check for vacuum to the VRV from the vacuum pump. When you have the lines off of it, you should have vacuum at one of them. If not trace it back to the vacuum pump, and replace the VP if everything else is fine. If you do have vacuum at obne side of the VRV, and swapping lines doesnt halp, or adjustment doesnt help, then get a new VRV. Carquest/NApa has/can get em

n1vbn

Go to any GM dealer. I got mine from Betley Cherolet in Derry NH when I bought my M-1009 4 years ago. Costs? $70 thereabout.....no adjusting plug? Who needs em. Third adjustment and road test was and still is the charm. Don't forget to replace the 2 inch rubber line that connects the modulator to the steel line. Just tell the parts guy you need a VRV (vacuum regulator valve)for a 6.2 DIesel engine year and make.

Afterthought.......A new vacuum pump will pull 27 inches of mercury and the tranny should work fine down to around 16 inches...any level lower than that needs a replacement vacuum pump.

Jim
1985 M-1009

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
I got one from GMparts .com or something like that.... there 100$ with shipping now. I do have a extra brand new one I would sell fro 80 bucks still in the box