• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 no wait light, no GEN 2 light, no volts.

avlon01

Truck has been running great up till this morning.

Turned key to get power to all the accessories. Wait light did not light. GEN 2 light did not come on. Volt indicator is at zero.

GEN 1 light is on.

If I turn the key, it tries to start, but I'm assuming the glow plugs are not warming.

It is a manual switch for the glow plugs that the previous owner put in. Glow plugs are new, both batteries are less than 2 months old.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

When you say, "It tries to start" . . . the engine cranks, but won't start ? Or does it just go, "click, click, click" ?

Many CUCV wiring threads, including diagrams.

Last edited:

avlon01

When you say, "It tries to start" . . . the engine cranks, but won't start ? Or does it just go, "click, click, click" ?

Many CUCV wiring threads, including diagrams.
Engine cranks, but won't start.

I did check a few of the wiring threads and won't start threads but didn't know where to start.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

When I was a baby, and ill, my mom called the doc and asked him what could be wrong. Doc said, Hold him up to the phone and I'll have a look at him. That's kinda what we got here. Cranking is good. If the air temp is above freezing the glowworm plugs are just along for the ride. Kinda curious about why a manual switch was installed.

Anyway, engine needs 3 things. Air, heat, and fuel. The pistons and valves handle the first two. Getting fuel to the hot air is the complicated part.

My process starts with the basics. Is there fuel in the tank ? Are you sure ? I made a lot of money in the garage by putting fuel in a cranks but won't start.
If tank has fuel follow the troubleshooting stuff in the TMs to see that it's getting to the injectors.

The electrical gremlins are strange but I suspect there's a loose or bad connection or cable somewhere. Just hafta find it. Sorry if the answer isn't what ya want but troubleshooting is a pain on any vehicle. Eliminate the simple first.

I am also looking thru the TMs to see if I might be missing something.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Check a 20 amp fuse on the left side of the fuse box. I think about mid way up. It says engine control. Check it out and report back. That is a shot in the dark.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is for the 6.5L engine, and is likely to confuse the OP.
Obviously there are similarities.
Best to download the TM's for the CUCV from the TM section.

someoldmoose

The thread title says 6.5. I copied the wrong link. The book is for the 6.5 T. Sorry for any confusion. The correct thread link is there now. :oops:

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I am confused. The book you are refering to is for a 6.5 turbo diesel.
That can not be the same book as for the 6.2l engine in the M1009.
I am not trying to give you a hard time and I know you are trying to help the OP,
but could you please explain. Thanks!

someoldmoose

No offense taken firefox. You were correct. I have now put the correct link in the other post. Actually, I appreciate ya having my back. That's what it's supposed to be about, right ?

avlon01

Thanks for the tips so far.

Here is where I am at:

I do have all the TM's for the M1009, and have started going through the electrical trouble shooting. Might take a while.

It's also been raining, so electrical in the rain is always a bit difficult.

I checked both batteries and they are both fully charged and pass with my battery tester. I have been driving it for the last few days up to when it died, so that is good to see.
Fuel is at 3/4 tank.
Checked all fuses. Everything looked good.

It is supposed to rain for the next couple of days, so that will give me time to dig through the TM's. I'll start with the Gen 2 light not working, then voltmeter no longer working, then wait light not illuminating.

Is there a single point of failure for those three devices? Glow plug controller card, ect? Just looking for ideas to help narrow down my search.

someoldmoose

My man, if I had the magic pill I'd happily give it to ya. I would like to think it is one thing causing it all. Just too many possibilities.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Checked all fuses. Everything looked good.

Yes fuse may look good. But is the fuse making contact in the metal clips. And is the fuse being held tight enough to make good contact. Also check the fusible links on the firewall under the hood. They may also look good. I have seen more then one with the insulation in place and the wire inside burnt off. I agree it sounds like something simple. Do you remember doing anything or changing anything before this happened? Stereo's, driving lights anything that some one may have tapped into the wiring. Good Luck report back.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a heck of a time finding an electrical issue when first getting truck on road.
Was a fusible link that "looked"perfect.
Only when I physically felt and handled each one, did I discover the bad one.

Electrical gremlins are sneaky.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check or replace fuse #17 in the attached picture. It's labeled the Engine Control Fuse. That fuse controls the GEN2 relay, Voltmeter relay, Water in Fuel light and other things. If that fuse has no voltage on either side of it, then check the fusible link red wires on the terminal block on the firewall near the glow plug relay. One of those could be open.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks