• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 not starting..

stampy

While others will disagree.... I have started mine with either when the glowplugs aren't working. THIS IS NOT A GOOD PRACTICE LONG TERM. You can also use gasoline and a rag. Mine also goes through a ram air mod that pulls air from the front so that it's NOT a big hit of either going into the intake. If you do this use VERY LITTLE either or just use a gas soaked rag as it is safer. This should start your truck and once it is warm it will start easily. This only works if you are getting fuel delivery! If you are not getting fuel it WILL NOT WORK. Bottom line if this gets you going fix the glow plugs as they are probably dead.

Last edited:

LeadHead

I'm guessing the multimeter is just...suck. I tried grounding from the exhaust stud, alt ground bolt, alternator, etc and I got nothing other than "Open Loop"...found out what that meant. I'm gunna run to the Advance Auto after school and get a new multimeter. I'm thinking I might go analog on that.

While others will disagree.... I have started mine with either when the glowplugs aren't working. THIS IS NOT A GOOD PRACTICE LONG TERM. You can also use gasoline and a rag. Mine also goes through a ram air mod that pulls air from the front so that it's NOT a big hit of either going into the intake. If you do this use VERY LITTLE either or just use a gas soaked rag as it is safer. This should start your truck and once it is warm it will start easily. This only works if you are getting fuel delivery! If you are not getting fuel it WILL NOT WORK. Bottom line if this gets you going fix the glow plugs as they are probably dead.

Thanks! How does the gas soaked rag work? That seems like a better idea to me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the meter read, when you touch the 2 probes together? It should read 0, or anything other than OL.

OL, would indicate your GPs are bad.

stampy

With the air cleaner off. Pour a little gasoline on a rag and put it over the 2 studs on the air intake. Make sure it is NOT DRIPPING you just want gasoline vapor. remove the rag as soon as it starts, make sure the rag isn't going to be pulled into the intake also.:shock:

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you safely dispose of the wet gassy rag?

I strongly disagree that a gas soaked rag is a safe idea, for this.

Why do it wrong, when you can do it right?

stampy

While I agree that you should do it right as said in my above post. This may help with troubleshooting, or if you are stranded. Replacing the glowplugs are the first priority. I had to do this once when stuck after having to change a filter, I NEVER said that this should be the way to NORMALLY start it. As far as getting rid of gas soaked rags goes....a match or soapy water in a bucket .;)

top_prop

While I agree that you should do it right as said in my above post. This may help with troubleshooting, or if you are stranded. Replacing the glowplugs are the first priority. I had to do this once when stuck after having to change a filter, I NEVER said that this should be the way to NORMALLY start it. As far as getting rid of gas soaked rags goes....a match or soapy water in a bucket .;)
If any of his glow plugs are working you may just help him to find it by blowing up the gas in the cylinder.

If you must use some sort of starting fluid ... WD40 is a much better choice.

i had someone urge me to do this one time being very sincerly helpful... I refused, and trouble shot the issue to an IP with a bad ground... the gas probably would have kaboomed my engine, as it was hot at first and the glow plugs were working just fine!

If anything, a starting fluid/vapor is a last ditch... someone not stranded and having trouble using an volt/ohm meter is far from last ditch in my book...

break... break..

touch the leads of the volt meter together like Doghead said, they should read about 0. also make sure you have them plugged into the proper ports on the volt meter...

if that doesn't work, get a magazine like the national rifleman... look for a harbor freight coupon section, you'll find a volt meter you can keep in your truck for nothing if you get the right coupon. :-D8)8)

edit to add: good glow plug bypass thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/63366-glow-plug-pass-help.html

Last edited:

LeadHead

What does the meter read, when you touch the 2 probes together? It should read 0, or anything other than OL.

OL, would indicate your GPs are bad.
When I touch them together, I believe it said 0.2 ohms

Ok, great! Well, not really cause that means just about all of them are bad. :mrgreen:

stampy

WD 40 no longer ignites as far as I know since they changed the formula a few years back. No Kaboom as it's only gasoline vapor and not liquid. The idea is only to get you running if you are stuck somewhere. Replacing the glow plugs is, of course, the best alternative. I learned this from a 20 year motor pool vet who told me they would have to do this to deuces sometimes and figured I would pass it on. Oh, and as I said it only works if you are getting fuel to the injectors. Which may help you troubleshoot.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

You disconnect the battery then remove the wire from the driver's side of the resistor. To the left and slightly above the glow plug relay is the main 12 Volt Bus for the truck. Connect the wire you just took off to the 12V stud. Connect the battery and verify you have 12V on this wire now. Conversion complete, and can be put back stock in an emergency if you need to slave start the truck through the 24V nato plug on the front in under 5 minutes. If you search around some of the most recent "swollen glow plug removal" threads or just look through my posts in about the last month, Doghead put up a very nice picture showing how to do this with arrows pointing towards each wire / terminal with numbers and everything. It made it idiot proof for me which I really like.

LeadHead

I got it working! Started right up. I used the AC60G plugs. $75 for all 8. None of the GPs had a ohm reading. I also bypassed the resistors. Only problem is, I heard something buzz (after the seatbelt buzz went off) when I was letting the plugs cycle. I cant hear the relay clicking on or off. Haven't heard it once, but it still started great. Did I mess something up?