• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Not Staying Running ???????

ssdvc

OK,

I have not had a lot of time to trouble shoot and have had a few things come up, but I went ahead and started the grey beast again this morning. It started right up, but it sputters and has no ability to rev up and feels like it has no power. She blows white/grey smoke which smells like some unburnt fuel. She will only run for a minute or so and then dies. She will crank all day long, even on 6 year old plus mil spec batteries but she won't stay running.

I am not an expert mechanic, so before I head down the wrong path, any ideas on what could cause this?? There is no oil in the cooling loop, no leaks I can see and the fuel filter is new and getting plenty fuel.

Thanks !

ssdvc

I just wanted to add that before I had this happen, and it came on in one day, the truck run great. I couldn't and didn't have a complaint about the mechanics of the truck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like glow plugs not working correctly or at all.
It fires off because it's warm outside but the glow plugs aren't doing their afterglow to keep it running.

If it's still a 24v system and you have a multimeter start the troubleshooting per the TM.

My Thoughts anyway

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like glow plugs not working correctly or at all.
It fires off because it's warm outside but the glow plugs aren't doing their afterglow to keep it running.

If it's still a 24v system and you have a multimeter start the troubleshooting per the TM.

My Thoughts anyway
Unless he is "Somewhere on the Right Coast" of Antarctica it shouldn't need glow plugs to start with the weather this time of year.

Have you checked the air filter ? has it been sitting for a extended amount of time without running ? if so criiters may have built a nest blocking the air .

Last edited:

cucvrus

Scott I think it may be dropping fuel. I can not say 100% but that is what it sounds like. It may be sucking air somewhere. You had mentioned that it had some rust. Check all the fuel lines feed and return. Get a vac or pressure pump and check for leaks. I will not rule out an injection pump at this point. But I am shooting from the hip at this distance. I hope you understand.

ssdvc

Thanks Rick. My wife is on me to get it running and get it sold, as she is not happy with the two trucks in front of the house. I was hoping to strip her down and use her off road, because she is good mechanically (well, was), but she is adamant about having only one. I'll check the lines tomorrow.

Tin Star - Glow plugs seems to work, as it has started easily enough today (first turn of the key, temp was 78) and a few months ago when it was in the 40's (seems like quite a while ago).

wauto - Fuel filter is new, as stated in original post.

cucvrus

Bring it down here and park it on my lot. Then you can have it and it will be at the halfway point. I just found a 74 K5 Blazer a few months back and am going to chop one of my M1009's and make a complete convertible out of it. CUCV Hott Rodding and Modification. Imagine that? Me the guy cutting and modifying CUCV's. Say it ain't so. Good luck with the Grey Beast. It is angry because of it's color.

ssdvc

LOL ! It's angry because my wife drove it while I was over on the sand box. I think the beast couldn't handle her lead foot !!

I'll be following the convertible project, sounds awesome.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rick. My wife is on me to get it running and get it sold, as she is not happy with the two trucks in front of the house. I was hoping to strip her down and use her off road, because she is good mechanically (well, was), but she is adamant about having only one. I'll check the lines tomorrow.

Tin Star - Glow plugs seems to work, as it has started easily enough today (first turn of the key, temp was 78) and a few months ago when it was in the 40's (seems like quite a while ago).

wauto - Fuel filter is new, as stated in original post.
Thats the beauty of this site. Guys with way more knowledge on these than me.