• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 nv4500 difficulties

snakepliskin

puttin an nv 4500 in my 86 1009
havent even gotten started real good and its quickly becoming a pita

heres where i ended up having to take the steering column out to put the clutch/brake pedals inIMAG0018.jpg

crap thing is i accidentally pulled the steering column apart when removing it and cant get it back togetherIMAG0020.jpg

did get the clutch master cylinder installed with the resivour IMAG0019.jpg

heres a complimentary pic of the 2wd nv4500 IMAG0021.jpg

Westech

CPL
so are you doing a divorced transfer case? and I have done MANY auto to manual swaps and I have never had to take the steering column out. If it pulled apart I have no idea how to get it to go back.. never done that one before.

snakepliskin

o no sorry not running divorced case
got all the stuff to make it 4wd and stick it on the np208

yeah the 2 outer tubes of the column slid apart and wouldnt get back together i have no idea what happened but in my aggravated state i ended up destroying the bearing that supports the end of the shaft in the column

i guess i just hit the junk yard to see if i can get another entire column on the cheap

Croatan_Kid

You don't absolutely have to pull the column, IIRC, but it makes like much easier. I just unbolted mine and let it hang down. I kinda wish I could find a manual column, but it's not that big of a deal to me any more.

snakepliskin

somebody PMed me about this thread i think so i figured id hit back about it again. ive had the nv4500 in there for about 10 months now.

some of the good stuff!
having an OD is awesome, gets almost 24 mpg now going down the highway
can hit 80mph now
got a super low gear for some of the weirder towing ive done, just gets the heavy crap rollin.

and the bad stuff.
i would not suggest using the advance adapters bell housing thats for the 95 and older NVs
1 the starter doesnt fit in it and requires alot of grinding
2 the sheet metal shield sucks and is just wrong cant get all the bolts in it
3 one of the bolts for the shield runs into the oil filter and makes if difficult to get the oil filter off and on
4 and the worst part is the hydraulic clutch adapter thin from advance totally sucks completly doesnt work at all. when you press the clutch in it bends backwards and it cannot fully disengage the clutch making shifting a complete pain. ive adjusted it over and over. tried reinforcing the bracket and a couple of other things and just havent gotten anything but a slave cylinder that bends backwards when you press the clutch.

everything with the swap went pretty well just felt like putting chevy parts in a chevy except that advance adapters bellhousing.

i am going to relocate the oil filter next to try to get some room to over engineer that bracket some more to get it to hold still so the clutch will work. if i cant get it to work ill be lookin to find a 700r4 auto trans weld the hole up in the floor and put somethin together i know will work.

anyways if somebody was wonderin about tht bellhousing i hope ive helped them to at the very least only use it for something with manual clutch linkage

taildragger03

Have you contacted Advanced concerning the slave cylinder bracket? What size clutch are you running,11" or 12"? How is the pedal feel? Advanced Adapters has a disclaimer in their documentation that the bellhousing they produce is not advised to be used with the 6.2L diesel. In fact they are reluctant to sell one going on a diesel simply because of the size of the nose cone on the starters. As for the splash shield, I know what you mean. Have you tried a thinner head on the bolt. There is a really good photo of this same install on a 86' 1028 that shows the clearance of the shield and filter. Let us know if you find anything on this.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton 5 Speed Manual Transmission Swap - 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks