• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Oil change question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleJay

Hi Guys...

I plan on doing an oil change on my M1009 this weekend.

When I do, would it be okay to use 6 quarts Rotella T oil,
and 1 Quart (32 Fl oz) Lucas Oil stabilizer (for extra protection)?

Or just stick with 7 quarts of the Rotella T oil?

Also, when I get an oil filter, can I use a "C" code filter,
or do I have to stick with a "J" code filter, since that is a "J" code engine?

Thanks in advance, and God bless all of you...

CJ

Hasdrubal

C code or J code filter? Am I missing something here. I've allways just bought a filter for a 6.2 diesel. I was not aware of any difference here. Someone care to elaborate

Lurchwolf

Just stick with the Rotella T. It has all of the detergents and stabilizers you need. Forget the Lucas stuff, that is more a marketing company than a lube company. Any large GM 90 degree filter will fit anyways, use whatever # they gave you for the J code. I would avoid any filter made by Allied Signal, that is the OEM for Fram, and most of them really are garbage.

Wolf.Dose

The oil questions are as old as the CUCV Series.
Anyway, any mineral 15 W 40 oil will do it. The API classification stamped on the stick is from the 80's. This oil quality these days is the standard.
Oil filters you will find a big varity in the super markets like Fleets farm market, Walmart and so on. And there is always a big book where you can look for the fitting filter. Look for Chevrolet 6.2 l Diesel 1982 -1992.
The differance between a J Code engine and a C Code engine is in the cylinder heads and the cam shaft. The C Code is the so called low emmission engine only used in the 1500 trucks, for they were classified as light duty and had to folllow stricter emmission requirements according EPA 75/85.
Horse power is the same. And they use the same filters and oil.
It is not recommanded to use a semi syntetic or a full syntetic oil. The gaskets are not made for this thin stuff. The oil will run away.
Change oil any 5000 miles as well as the filter as recommended and you will not run into problems.
Wolf

Buzz

I have seen tests at the US Army Cold Region Test Center @ -50 below, synthetic oil is far superior than conventional oil. At - 50 below
10w-30 was so thick that it was like frozen syrup, synthetic oil flowed . My car at the time when started at temps that cold would have the oil light on when first started until the engine warmed up, I was using conventional oil. I have tested synthetic oil in my Sportster and it runs 20 degrees cooler just from synthetic oil.
Myths About Synthetic Motor Oils

I use Mobil one in all my vehicles ( I havent had my CUCV that long but may try it next winter)2cents

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

The oil is your pref. no real big deal ! the filters are the same no dif the only thing you will find in filters are with and without checkvalve or drain back valve like the fram ph5 or ph13 one has the valve the other does not the filter is not located on its side or upside down so either will work

seabee mike

Lucas oil is a great oil. I have a race car and i have to rebuild it after each race season. I changed over to lucas products and I am getting 50% more life out of the car parts.

lolercaust

Just a quick tip NEVER do the Lucas oil "trick" it's bull. Just good old snake oil sale, marketing crap. There's no truth in it, no more then the "fuel booster" and "sea foam" its all smoke and mirrors to get your money and thats all it is.

lonewolf90

Well am not sure if the Lucas oil stabilizer is crap or not my grandpa uses it in a 95 ford explore and just rolled 300,000 on it with just regular oil changes and tune ups. Never had to any engine trouble with it. Good engine or the Lucas stuff not sure. Fuel additives I use in my power stroke and see a great improvement in fuel mileage. Idk tho just my thought

lolercaust

I dont know about your stroker, but if it's a 95 explore it's most likley got a vulcan or cuningham in it which both really good engines. To counter your point my best friend had a 86 Volvo 240 wagon that hit 380,000 miles then the odometer died, and he drove it dialy for eight more years. That car was luckly to even get an oil change most of the time. With the volvo it boils down to the good old volvo red block. IMO the lucas stuff is just as i said before, snake oil fix it all.

lonewolf90

Right am not saying the Lucas is why it lasted so long I don't use it in my cars either. Just plain oil. I think modern oil has all the right stuff to make a engine last a long time.

The Explorer, probably had the older 4.0L V6, those engines are super reliable. I ran an old 4.0 Ranger with 240K (on the broken odometer) in a demo derby, blew the lower radiator hose early in the heat and lost all the water, the engine never stalled, and after still started and ran great (the rest of the truck not so much ;) ) The 1st owner took good care of it though, the guy I bought it from did not. Haha.

The plain Lucas additive is just pure 70 weight oil from what I've heard. I have used the Lucas synthetic oil in my Grand Marquis, it quiets it down on cold starts in the winter.

In my 1009 I use plain Rotella or Delvac 15w40 and a Napa Gold filter (I have a 1218 ACDelco filter on right now, cuz I got it half-priced from the Chevy dealer). I plain on getting the extra capacity Napa #1794 (Wix #517940) for the next oil change.

A Fram filter will never touch any of my vehicles.

There is no J-code or C-code specific oil filter. On the 90's C/K pickups a different filter is required for 2wd or 4wd due to the location of the front differential.

lolercaust

yep the 4.0 was a Cuningham, my dad has a 96 with the smaller vulcan and its a awsome lil truck. I do have to agree with you the engine will NEVER die but a lil ranger is'nt a tank and im sure it didnt take to a derby to well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard it called the Cunningham. I know it as the Cologne 4.0L and 2.9L.

The Ranger did pretty good. I took 3rd, only reason for that is I didn't have time to weld the differential, I blew a rear tire and that was the end of me moving. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks