• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009, plenty of moving air but no heat.

RedneckMilenko

So the heater in my 09 isn;t working at all. The blower is blowing hard and the linkage is working correctly to open and close the flap to let in the warm air (or os I think). What could be my issues? I looked in the TM's but couldn't find any steps to diagnose my problem. I'm not losing coolant to it shouldn't be my heater core, could it the thermostat or the valve?

RedneckMilenko

You know what? I hoeslt don't know the answer to that question. I assumed it would be, I didn't think of the possibility of it not even being there. Sometimes the most obvious answers must be said by someone else. Lol

Carlo

So the heater in my 09 isn;t working at all. The blower is blowing hard and the linkage is working correctly to open and close the flap to let in the warm air (or os I think). What could be my issues? I looked in the TM's but couldn't find any steps to diagnose my problem. I'm not losing coolant to it shouldn't be my heater core, could it the thermostat or the valve?
Ck the heater hoses going to the heater core if they are hot. Is the radiator full? With the truck running can you see water moving in the radiator (with cap removed carefully)?

RedneckMilenko

Well unless it was bypassed on the inside of the forewall then the heater core is hooked up. I'll crank it up and see if those hoses get hot. The radiator is full but I have no usable coolant resivor. The one on there is busted and won't hold any fluid at all. But we'll see shortly.

RedneckMilenko

Well my batteries finally went out, she's been sitting up for the past few months till I had time to rebuild the hubs. Getting new batteries in a few but as far as I can tell everything is as it should be. No leaks in the coolant system anywhere and the heater core hasn't been bypassed.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has a "new" style heater core, aluminum, they are often installed without sealing them with the foam that they come with. Hence,leaving a gap, which the air flow uses to go around the heater core instead of going through it. If the air coming out the vents is tepid, instead of hot, that might be your dilemma. There are several good threads on this subject. That's where I got my information from.
God bless,
Tony

[h=3]M1009 Replacement Heater Cores - No or Low Heat Output [/h]

Last edited:

RedneckMilenko

Thank you, I'll be taking my heater box off shortly to see if it was replaced with an after market core. If that's the case it shouldn't take much to fix the problem. Now another problem, I can't seem to fond out how many CCA I need for my truck. The batteries in it do not say and they're dead as a door nail. I was going to go with 2 batteries with 750 or 800 CCA. I think that would be plenty enough, any thoughts?

chvss65

take both hoses off of the heater core, and with a garden hose push water through both sides of the core,,, I bet some much crude comes out that there, the core probably wasn't flusher since new,, easy fix to an old problem lol

The radiator will still show moving coolant if the heater core is plugged

Last edited:

RedneckMilenko

Then I'll be dishing out $400+ tomorrow. My local parts store didn't have any in stock so I'm going to have to go to NAPA. Also as far as the heater queston goes I looked and my coolant was a bit low. Could that be attributed to a non-usable puke tank and bad radiator cap? I don't think she's over heated but I'm 100% sure all my dummy lights work ether.

jw4x4

Go to a battery dealer and ask them to sell you some "blems". Or go to Wally World. No sense in dishing out $400+ for batteries. I got 1000 cca batteries from Truck Pro for approx. $72 each.

Barneyrubble

Mine are 1000 cca as well,check the heater hoses,they should both be hot when engine is "normal",if not,there could be some crap blocking the matrix core,backflush the core with a running hose pipe,and if you have access to an air line,blow the water through,but be careful when doing this,don't put a million PSI through it!.If it is blocked,you will notice a lot of crud being forced out.

Carlo

Mine are 1000 cca as well,check the heater hoses,they should both be hot when engine is "normal",if not,there could be some crap blocking the matrix core,backflush the core with a running hose pipe,and if you have access to an air line,blow the water through,but be careful when doing this,don't put a million PSI through it!.If it is blocked,you will notice a lot of crud being forced out.
Nice M1009!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks