• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 plus HMMWV Engine & Tranny

McCluskey

If I wanted to replace the engine in a M1009 with a Hmmwv engine (6.5) what would have to be done to allow it to bolt in? Motor mounts etc? Would the engine work with the stock TH400 tranny, or would I better off getting the Hmmwvs 4-speed in there as well?

Last edited:

McCluskey

A lot of that info is for 6.2 Hmmwv engines. I'd be putting in a 6.5. I don't know if there's much of a difference, but that is what I would be using.

Last edited:

1984M1009

the 6.5 will bolt up fine to a turbo 400 the 6.2 and 6.5 engines are very similar. I know a lot of HMMWV had the turbo 400 but I am not sure if that was only behind the 6.2

Chief_919

A lot of that info is for 6.2 Hmmwv engines. I'd be putting in a 6.5. I don't know if there's much of a difference, but that is what I would be using.
Is the 6.5 NA or turbo.

If it is NA, it is a bolt in swap, you might have to use the old flexplate from the 6.2, but other than that bolt it it, using the CUCV manifolds and accessories off your 6.2.

If it is a turbocharged 6.5 from a HMMWV, you have more work cut out for you. HMMWV's use the center mounted turbo that GM used in vans, it will not fit the CUCV as the turbo won't clear the firewall. A CUCV needs the side mounted turbo that GM trucks used.

However, it is not just a manifold/turbo swap. The center mount turbo engines have different heads with different intanke manifold bolt patterns, so to swap a 6.5 that has a center mount turbo to NA or side mount turbo you have to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, the heads, and some oil lines/fittings. You can use the heads from your 6.2 in this swap, but if you find 6.5 heads it will have more power.

If you want a turboed 6.5 in your CUCV the easiest way is to either get a NA 6.5 from a HMMWV and ann the turbo parts from a GM truck that came with the 6.5, or buy a complete 6.5 setup from a GM truck and swap to a mechanical injection pump. I have one listed in the classifieds right now

McCluskey

I don't know whether it's going to be NA or Turbo. I was told it was going to be a simple swap, so I'm assuming NA.

So if it's a 6.5 NA it is 100% swap out? No fabbing or different parts? (aside from the maybe with the flexplate)

After I get, let's say, a 6.5 NA into the '09. What kind of work would be needed to add a GM style turbo exactly?

Chief_919

I don't know whether it's going to be NA or Turbo. I was told it was going to be a simple swap, so I'm assuming NA.

So if it's a 6.5 NA it is 100% swap out? No fabbing or different parts? (aside from the maybe with the flexplate)

After I get, let's say, a 6.5 NA into the '09. What kind of work would be needed to add a GM style turbo exactly?
If it is NA the 6.5 long block will bolt in. You will just have to use all the CUCV accessories, water pump, manifolds, IP, etc. It is a bolt in- in fact the government is no longer rebuilding 6.2's, so any truck, CUCV or HMMWV, in Army service now that has a 6.2 gets a 6.5 when it gets a new engine.

To add a turbo later, you will need the intake, exhaust manifolds, and turbo from a GM turbo truck. You will have to go to an electric fuel pump, use a block off plate for the fuel pump and plumb the oil return line in. Then you will have to get a crossover pipe between the manifolds made at a muffler shop.

That is the basics- there are some more detailed threads on here that lay it out.