• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 project

Camkillers

Cannot stress enough to anyone replacing there glow plugs anytime soon I work at a auto parts store so I got these Auto lite 1112s for 48 dollars with my discount and rewards money but still if I payed the 15 dollars for them each I think I'd be way more pissed off I only got these because of the price and price I payed only came to bite me in the ass there less then 6 weeks old I have a new glow plug card and relay all the wiring was redone so now I have 2 stuck the others are shorted and broken only one survived which I don't understand I used to have wellmans which were ok but two were shorted so I replaced them I should have listened to myself and bought the acdelcos I advise and can't stress enough do NOT buy auto lite 1112s I'll be contacting auto lite them selves to fix this because really it's 130 dollars in glow plugs don't be dumb and buy the right stuff lesson learned and money burned now I gotta pull injectors and get the chunks out yayyy uploadfromtaptalk1427681490924.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427681505106.jpg

cucvrus

Sorry to hear that man. I always use AC Delco 13 G glow plugs. I just bought 8 from the GM dealer. I have had some issues with swelled plugs but never anything major. I think that is good considering I have been running the same trucks going on 20 years with the stock glow plug set up. Good Luck. Pulling an injector is not all bad. I often clamp a vise grip on the offending plug and pry and turn and have had some great success getting the swelled plug out. You will know when to quit. Then go the injector way and a curved jaw vise grip. That is how I move in for the kill. Good Luck. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Camkillers

So had to pull an injector to get the tip of glow plug the other day and what came out surprised me my injector was all gummed up with carbon with a tiny pinhole to spray from so of course I took them all out and instead of spending hundreds on new ones I decided to get a little technical and pull them all apart and clean them so I did was a little bit of a process but we'll worth the turn out truck runs a thousand times better starts so much faster so then I realized this is probably why all my glow plugs burned up they were having a fine squirt of diesel shot at them flooding them but needless to say she is so much happier the injectors finally buzz and flutter like they should truck has power and gets better fuel economy and she is loving life now everyone will sit there and say why didn't you just replace and I'll tell you why I had the time knowledge and I set myself up because I'll be doing a 6.5 turbo swap I'll most likely be getting new injectors from a 6.5 to clear the turbo manifold uploadfromtaptalk1428475771113.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428475787813.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428475805786.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1428475756060.jpg

cucvrus

I just had a nozzle leaking and pulled one off another engine and installed it. That is the first time I ever had any injector issues in 20 + years of owning these vehicles. That nozzle you have there looks like oil issues inside the engine. The one I removed from my engine was clean. It just leaked around the body of the nozzle at the seam. I never took one of them apart before. I don't plan on it now. My M1009 has 122K on it and still has the original injection pump on it. It runs fine. I will post a picture of the leaking nozzle. I threw it in the recycling bin. Good luck with your truck. I hope everything works out for you.

Camkillers

It's funny that you say that I've noticed my cdr valve sucks a lot of oil into intake might be pulling intake then installing an oil catch can for it don't like that she's drinking dirty oil ...but I do run my truck on used ATF that I filter but I doubt that's the issue 100s of diesel guys run it no issues why would I be the only one so I think it's from idling to much with egts too low so the carbon was able to grow and not burn off and also the oil from my cdr

Camkillers

Alright note to anyone who has glow plug issues make sure your glow plug relay doesn't get stuck on mine has been stuck on so the truck has now burned up 24 glow plugs because previous owner electrical tapped the glow plug relay wire together when he did the bypass switch so I never noticed it when I did new temp sensor glow plug card and all those goodies so when I went on a desert trip the wire pulled away from tape and wasn't making connection so the relay would go on at start and stay on yayy me so now another set of glow plugs are on the way and now I'm going threw all the wiring and doing it right time for fun

Camkillers

I would do a compression check on that motor,looks like a a lot of oil on your injectors.Maybe rings are bad.
My cdr valve is dumping oil down into both sides of my intake the intake is super dirty full of oil like out of control so I'm getting a new cdr and doing a oil catch can she runs perfect has perfect compression just way to much oil going threw the cdr It might be broken so I'm replacing it and swapping my intake manifold to a 6.5 intake that I have

Another Ahab

View attachment 597007 just installed my off road design shock brace loving it more to come in the next month
The installation looks real good, and just thinking that if you have a marine supply store anywhere near you swapping the plated hardware out for some stainless (installed with anti-seize) might save you some headaches later down the line. But yeah, stainless isn't cheap.

Last edited:

Camkillers

The installation looks good, and just thinking that if you have a marine supply store anywhere near you swapping the pasted hardware out for some stainless (installed with anti-seize) might save you some headaches later down the line. But yeah, stainless isn't cheap.
Thought about it but honestly ORD makes some quality stuff and the hardware is actually pretty nice just that rear bolt by the tank is pain in my but had to fish it in

Another Ahab

finally did this fuel filter thing right hahaha so much better with this standyne fm100
Bronze hardware isn't something you see everyday other than in marine situations:

- What's the story on the bronze wing nut in the bottom of that picture?

Maybe you just like nice hardware?

Camkillers

Bronze hardware isn't something you see everyday other than in marine situations:

- What's the story on the bronze wing nut in the bottom of that picture?

Maybe you just like nice hardware?
I don't think there bronze haha its my battery terminal they discolored from some corrosion they used to be very gold looking now there bronze colored haha

Camkillers

so stupid question does anyone have instructions for the aftermarket BMI glow plug card mine stopped working and i have no instructions for mine i remember reading that theres a fuse soldered into it anyone with one if you could post picture it'd be much appreciated thanks