• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 pulling a S-250/M101A3

Herewego

I recently purchased a S-250 that I plan to make into a camper/communication unit. I'm now looking for a trailer to mount my shelter on for transportation. From my research it looks like it should fit in a M101A3 trailer or something similar with modification. Now my concern is if my 86 M1009 is going to be able to pull it. I have searched this topic and have not found anything pertaining to this. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with something like this.

Last edited:

Barrman

The TM says the M1009 should not be pulling an empty M101 trailer. Much less with a S-250 loaded on it. If you haven't taken your pintle hitch mount apart and inspected/replaced all the fasteners in there. I would strongly tell you don't even try. Even after making sure it will hold. You are going to have a hard time going anywhere above about 52 mph.

The 6.2 is great at low rpm torque. That is what makes the M1009 by itself such a fun vehicle to drive around. Adding a 1200 pound trailer makes it much less snappy. If you drive around with an empty M101 without its top on, you will find you have to push a lot more to get above 60 mph. Put the top on the trailer and if you have a head wind. You might be on the floor, blowing black smoke out the exhaust and maxed out at around 52-53 mph. A square truck with 3.08 axle gears pulling the barn door into the wind needs power the 6.2 doesn't have. I have been in the just described situation a few times with my truck.

Add in the increased size and weight of a S-250 and you might find your new max speed is around 43 mph. Hopefully, you will be able to get it to shift to 3rd.

I would suggest 3.73 axles if you want to pull that much behind the M1009. A better hitch and for sure good brakes on the trailer. A bigger engine oil cooler and a bigger transmission cooler as well.

Herewego

Thanks Barrman for your advice and experience. It looks like I'm not going to be able to take my new shelter camping anytime soon. I plan on adding an external oil and trans cooler, so hopefully I will be ok lugging the S-250 around town on short back road trips.

ECR CUCV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a S-250 that I plan to make into a camper/communication unit. I'm now looking for a trailer to mount my shelter on for transportation. From my research it looks like it should fit in a M101A3 trailer or something similar with modification. Now my concern is if my 86 M1009 is going to be able to pull it. I have searched this topic and have not found anything pertaining to this. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with something like this.

Please post any updates and pics. The s-250 in a M101a3 is what I have been planning for a while. Good luck

Herewego

Once it get it on a trailer I will take some pics. dstang97, I didn't get on gl. Someone I work with also owns a scrap yard and another co-worker had told me he had one. I didn't question him too much about where he got it, but its in great shape and I got it for a steal. I'm just glad he didn't scrap it.

I was under the impression the M101 was the way to go with CUCV's, although being near the edge of the M1009's capacity, considering that they weigh around 1300lbs empty. And the M105's are the heavier trailers meant for the deuce.

Getting lower gears would help a lot with towing.

Last edited:

dstang97

Oh ok. The one last week on GL was not a s-250 that's why I was asking. You would want to find the latter m101a3 with the fenders that go past the side of the trailer. That way you won't have to cut them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks