• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Purchase question

millertim

Hello all! New to this forum and heard about ya'll through my brother who gets all his "tips and tricks" from ya"ll for his M1009.

I found a M1009 for sale here in Phoenix and I'm going to look at it on Sunday, The asking price on the add is correct but with it's present condition I would probably only offer 1300 or so if the body is indeed as "rust free" as he says as I'll bet putting 300 right off the bat for batteries and an alternator... I was filled in on all the places to look for rust under the body, and know there is gonna be some no matter what.

On the phone he says it's been sitting for 2 years since he purchased it and he has done nothing to it as it's missing pass side alternator and was "freaked out" by not knowing the 24 volt system very well on the m1009... I see is Deuce.5 in the back so I dunno if its a red flag that he's unloading it and didn't even (according to him) try and get it running.

He's advertising "no rust 1984 mil spec blazer 16458 miles nice interior needs alternator (pass side ) have not tried to start"

3Ed3I73J75O55Ef5U3ccq4a65232666d81c63.jpg3Ib3M13Jb5Ge5Ef5J7ccq74165773bb4e1fdb.jpg3nc3G33m65Lb5Nd5Ebccqa15cbea4f0301bdc.jpg

Am I way off track with what I may offer (pending body condition), and does anyone else see a red flag based on the appearance? Thank you to all.

Tim

Last edited:

jeeplvr247

The seats are wrong. It is missing the back seat, spare tire and window crank. If you can get it running easily $1500 would not be a bad price. One they have sat for a few years things really start to go to crap so look it over real close.

millertim

Yeah that's my problem...it's a big fat question mark about weather it runs or not. I'll have to buy all new belts on top of the other parts before i can even attempt to see if it will even run. I don't want to low ball him but I don't want to pay what it's "worth" and end up with a roller...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan on spending close to $1000 to get any MV up and running. I have done it too many times and that is the average cost.

millertim

Plan on spending close to $1000 to get any MV up and running. I have done it too many times and that is the average cost.
Oh I know that, money pit to start (and maintain) but I don't want to low-ball the guy. Sounds like he doesn't really care about it too much if he let it rot for two years, so I'm guessing 1300 would be a fair offer.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$1300 is fair.

They have been selling on Government Liquidation for $2K+ sight unseen. Some have been close to $4K

Alot of people don't think about all the little $$ that it takes too get them going. $10 here, $20 there adds up fast.

millertim

$1300 is fair.

They have been selling on Government Liquidation for $2K+ sight unseen. Some have been close to $4K

Alot of people don't think about all the little $$ that it takes too get them going. $10 here, $20 there adds up fast.
Oh don't I know it. My last project (92 3/4 ton Suburban) had practically every suspension part replaced by the time i had gone through it. I'll ask on Sunday when I look at it, but that Deuce.5 is what's makin me paranoid. :confused:

jaymcb

Batteries, light bulbs, relays, starters, oil leaks, oil lines, belts, hoses, lines, window gaskets, rust. They, like all 25 year old vehicles which have been left outside, will kill you by the death of 1,000 small cuts. If it doesn't run......1,000 would be my number. 2 charged batteries will crank it and then you can at least see if it will turn over. You're not looking to see if it will run down the road, but STARTING and running is a good idea. Could you borrow a slave cable and see if his deuce has a slave receptacle so you could at least turn it over?

millertim

Batteries, light bulbs, relays, starters, oil leaks, oil lines, belts, hoses, lines, window gaskets, rust. They, like all 25 year old vehicles which have been left outside, will kill you by the death of 1,000 small cuts. If it doesn't run......1,000 would be my number. 2 charged batteries will crank it and then you can at least see if it will turn over. You're not looking to see if it will run down the road, but STARTING and running is a good idea. Could you borrow a slave cable and see if his deuce has a slave receptacle so you could at least turn it over?
I will have to ask him on Sunday, I'm not versed enough in the 24v system yet to know if I could even turn it over without an alternator. I know 12v systems will run off the battery but I'm still ignorant on the 24v stuff. I'd be happy just to know it turns over so at least some portions of the electrical work properly.

jaymcb

the system will run (short term) without either alternator, at least until the batteries are dead. Other than for the lights, they don't need many amps to run once started.

even with a perfect electrical system, 2+ year old fuel may be your enemy as well.

good luck.

millertim

the system will run (short term) without either alternator, at least until the batteries are dead. Other than for the lights, they don't need many amps to run once started.

even with a perfect electrical system, 2+ year old fuel may be your enemy as well.

good luck.
Good to know, I figured so... but I wouldn't want to be "that guy". That fuel issue was a something i had considered as well. I wouldn't expect it to start but I'd like to know it will turn over.

Tim