• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 quit on me

the skull

I am sure they didn't even have a clue as to where to plug the OBDII reader in.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I bet some of them techs wondered what that (diesel) smell was.

You should hear the whining in our shop when we bring a diesel
truck inside. I bring mine in sometimes just to stink it up.
We have a Ford diesel with a plow they park inside, it's nowhere
near as satisfying as an M1008 rattling away in the corner of the
shop while your eyes are watering. [thumbzup]

Cleptomaniac

Did you try to hook up a fuel can to the ip? That is the best thing to do.
On my m1009 I ended up replacing everything from the IP back. (Lines, filter/base, electric lift pump, fuel sending unit, and tank) no more fuel problems!
Good Luck

Keith_J

fair enough. i was under the impression that a bad IP would make the truck smoke pretty heavily?
No, that would be timing which aside from the cold advance, it is all mechanical. Now what could cause this problem is a failing transfer vane pump. This is inside the injection pump and pressurized fuel to much higher pressure than the lift pump. This pressure varies depending on the requested injection quantity, greatest pressure is greatest injection quantity. vanes sticking is the greatest failure point, worn vanes second.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would remove and blow out the return check valve next.

zeisshensoldt

i cleaned the check valve. i filled the tank with fresh fuel from a truck stop. it started up and idled normally. my hopes were high, so i took it for a spin down the street. right as soon as you get on the throttle its very apparent that power is just not there. soon enough after it warmed up, it began doing the same thing as before, full throttle no power, shuddering at idle and stalling. my concern is with the ip, is that a fair assumption? could the transmission be a possible culprit as well, would it produce symptoms like this?

rsh4364

Did you try to hook up a fuel can to the ip? That is the best thing to do.
On my m1009 I ended up replacing everything from the IP back. (Lines, filter/base, electric lift pump, fuel sending unit, and tank) no more fuel problems!
Good Luck
You really need to try this trick!It will help you determine if its your IP or something before it.

Keith_J

Certainly sounds like the vane pump in the injection pump unit is going out. The transfer pressure it produces is proportional to injected quantity. The plungers are spring loaded, more pressure compresses the springs more, making for more volume to be injected when the plungers are pressed in by the cam ring.

A clogged return check valve will prevent plunger bore filling so rule that one out. As will obstructed fuel return to the tank. Could be gelling in that line?

zeisshensoldt

The check valve is the nipple ontop of the IP cover, correct? i took it out and sprayed carb cleaner in both ends, i never witnessed any carb cleaner actually coming out the opposite end, but i figured that was just from the small bead inside blocking it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A check valve allows flow in one direction and stops it in the other direction.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try using a blowgun(air).

If it's plugged, it will not run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks