• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Radiator, civilian equivalent

paramilusmc

So tonight I found a nice leak in my radiator. Anyone have a part number to its civilian equivalent? I would like to get this ordered by tomorrow so I can replace it this weekend. I would go out and measure it now but its to dark and by the time I get home there is not a whole lot of daylight to utilize.

LMC truck has several options, all different sizes:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=63

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search for 2098 on this site and you will find a lifetime of reading material.

Also yo can find the GM part number in the parts manual and cross reference back to 2098 among others.

paramilusmc

Search for 2098 on this site and you will find a lifetime of reading material.

Also yo can find the GM part number in the parts manual and cross reference back to 2098 among others.
Time is not something I have a lot of these days Brother. If I had time to read the manuals I would do just that. Its either I spend this weekend reading manuals and take a week off of work due to lack of a vehicle, or I order this thing ASAP and spend the weekend fixing the truck and carpool for the rest of the week. This is my daily driver.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It take just a few seconds to find the number in the parts manual and google it.

I did all the work for you. Part number 2098 from your favorite parts house. Anywhere from $300 to $500

You can usually find a $50 coupon on the web for Advance Auto

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have put several Autozone replacement radiators in CUCV's they are $329.95 and the best part is they fit and they are guaranteed for life. I did have to put a brass adapter on for the low coolant sensor. No big deal. I had one that leaked for a customer after 8 years and they warranted it and gave me a new radiator. They are brass and double check them good before you leave the store. Sometimes things get damaged in transit and you want to check it out real good right in the store before you leave. They work well and cool well I have no problems with them. They are made in Mexico but I don't have a problem with that. The warranty speaks for itself and there is an Autozone in almost every town. If you don't keep the reciept at least keep the phone number and store number you bought it at. They will need to confirm the warranty if you do have problems. I hope that helps. I would recommend getting the new mounting cushions from LMC or somewhere else. The OEM ones are looking a little rough at this time. 30 years is hard on rubber that has 60 lbs sitting on it for so long. Autozone B850 radiator $324.99 Lifetime warranty Spectra Premium radiator.

cucvrus

Genesis does have them also. They are 100% aluminum replacement. When they were still available from GM I replaced a lot of these in CUCV's that were still in military service. They were the Harrison OEM plastic tank with aluminum fins. THE BEST. They require some modifications to the plastic fan shroud to clear the oil cooler lines. I have never had any experience with an all aluminum radiator. And from the picture they are showing they are missing an oil cooler for the transmission. That could just be a generic picture but I have to ask. After going on the site I think they are showing the radiator for a 305/350 gas motor. That would make the transcooler on the right side and no cooler on the left side. When I entered the application they never ask which engine was in the Blazer. That threw up the RED flag. They are showing and pricing a gas engine radiator. I will call when they open to double check.

cucvrus

ALL35340X2098-3AA
This radiator is for the diesel 6.2 it is listed on the Genesis site with no price. I see the picture is correct also. Sorry I was going off the site you posted and it took me to the gas radiators. I wonder what the cost is of an all Aluminum radiator that size?

cucvrus

Part Number: ALL35340X2098AA

I did the checking on this Genesis all aluminum radiator. It is available and it is a 2 row radiator. Not the heavy duty 3 row or 4 row. It is $186.+ S&H and comes with a lifetime warranty. IMHO it is to small of a cooling capacity to put the engine oil and the tranmission oil in it and expect to get maximum cooling under all conditions. The Heavy Duty 3 row all aluminum is currently not available and no price is indicated. I am sure the 2 row will work if you are just driving it in parades and never hauling over long distance. But in the long run until they make an aluminum 3 or 4 row I would stick to the brass aftermarket 3 row or an OEM Harrison replacement. That is just my opinion. The price is great on the 2 core but it only cost a couple bucks for to buy the 3 core that is currently available today.

paramilusmc

Genesis does have them also. They are 100% aluminum replacement. When they were still available from GM I replaced a lot of these in CUCV's that were still in military service. They were the Harrison OEM plastic tank with aluminum fins. THE BEST. They require some modifications to the plastic fan shroud to clear the oil cooler lines. I have never had any experience with an all aluminum radiator. And from the picture they are showing they are missing an oil cooler for the transmission. That could just be a generic picture but I have to ask. After going on the site I think they are showing the radiator for a 305/350 gas motor. That would make the transcooler on the right side and no cooler on the left side. When I entered the application they never ask which engine was in the Blazer. That threw up the RED flag. They are showing and pricing a gas engine radiator. I will call when they open to double check.

What kind of modification?

cucvrus

I remember cutting the plastic fan shroud to fit the oil lines. As I remember the cuts were made on the drivers side and passengers side to make clearance for the aluminum oil cooler lines that cross in the front of the fan. I have seen it done by other mechanics also so i know they all experienced the same issue I did. I don't have one that I can look at right at this time. I know it was minor modifications that I done with the ever handy 2" rolok grinder. Cut plastic like butter and makes a nice job. If you need to know more I will do some research. I know we have a M1028 A2 dually truck in service that has the mods done on it. It is just not right at my shop at this time.

cucvrus

I did not get the adapter at Autozone. I picked one up at the hardware store in the brass fittings area. We are talking about the low coolant sensor adapter? And also make sure before you leave Autozone you have the 3/4" hose adapter that fits into the radiator for the 3/4" heater hose. I know some of the replacements just have threads and a hole with a plug in it. You need the hose adapter piece. Sorry I have a weatherhead brass assortment at my shop and don't know the part numbers. I just use the ones that fit. I hope that helps. Before you go drive to the hardware store and get a pipe plug and put it in the old rad where the low coolant sensor goes and then you can return with your new radiator at the hardware store and get the proper adapter. You may not need one but I wanted to mention it because I have on occassions. Beside bike riding is good clean exercise. Let me know if i can assist you in any way.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well somebody riled up the folks at Genesis. :D

I’ve been checking that webpage almost daily for over a year waiting for the three-row radiator to show in stock (we have very different ideas as to the definition of the word ‘soon’). Now the three-row is gone completely.

The overall thickness of the radiator is the same between the two-row and three-row- so is the cooling capacity really that much different?

cucvrus

Sure the tank thinkness is the same it has to be to fit the mounts. But with 3 rows of cooling fins it is 33% more cooling area. And yes that makes a difference in cooling capacity. It is that much more water that is being forced through the 3rd row of tubes and being allowed to cool before being recirculated back into the engine. It makes a difference. It is doing a lot of cooling in a stock CUCV. water , transmission fluid and motor oil. So yes every little bit helps.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ask because the “coming soon” three-row has been removed from the page, so I don’t think it’s coming soon….or ever. My rad was leaking a year ago and I patched it with some stop leak, hoping it would hold me over until the three-row showed in stock. Since that’s not going to happen, and I don’t tow with my ’09, I may need to just get that two-row.

cucvrus

The radiator I mentioned from Autozone is a 4 row heavy duty. It doesn't get any better then that. The number is B850 and it is warranted for life. You can exchange a defective one at any Autozone store and its $324.99 Spectra premium radiator. I just went out and looked at mine it is a 4 core. That is all I have to say about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks