• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 radiator replacement 432098; engine oil cooler lines don't fit

top_prop

I put the new radiator in the civie 87 r20 suburban with 6.2 after getting the new rubber mounts from LMC...

just put the new radiator in the m1009 as well. more or less the same but the oil cooler lines are different between the too... the cucv's are flared where the civie's are straight... and like others when I went to put the lower oil cooler line in the rad for the Cucv it didn't want to go... I pushed it a bit firmer and it started to shave off some of the line... so I got out some 320 sand paper and gently reshaped it, checked it, reshaped it, checked it, etc until it fit well... then once it went in without shaving off a bit of itself I started the nuts and snugged them up.

Will have to wait until tomorrow after church before I get a chance to op check it but I expect it will be fine.

Seeing i drained all that trans fluid out of the cooler I figured it would be a good time to change the trans fluid and filter that is over due.... so perhaps I'll get it done after church.. I'll post if I have trouble...

Tom

Attachments

Matt65

I have noticed trans cooler lines on the passenger side of the Civi truck's radiator. Discovered this while looking for trans cooler lines for my M1008.

Taerkaster

Overlord, What part # are those aluminum radiators and where did you get those from? I might get one eventually but i just bought a near perfect civvy 6.2 diesel radiator. Looks like im gonna have to shave those lines.
Thanks!

m38inmaine

I installed one of those aluminum radiators in a friends M1008, got it off ebay. All the lines fit well but I had problems with the top mounts not fitting too well. Ended up making a rubber mount from sheet rubber. Sorry I dont have the ebay vendor info, it was quite some time ago.

MarcusOReallyus

Like I said in the other post I did last month, I bought two Billet Alumium Radiators, They cool better, last longer and I paid $220 each everything fit perfect, both my 6.2 military trucks have them. No Problems !

Very nice, but where did you get them? I've searched online, but can't find anything called a "Billet Aluminum Radiator" for anything close to that price!

MarcusOReallyus

Okay, I found some online. Someone sent me a PM with a link to an eBay seller. Hmmm. I noticed a watermark on his photograph, so I did a quick search, and I think I found the source for his $279 radiator.

Here's the real seller:

Genesis Radiator

Wouldja lookey that! $188 bucks from Genesis, $279 on the Bay. Nice markup that eBay guy has!

I have no idea about quality - it's just what I found with a search.

By the way, I am highly skeptical of that term, "Billet Aluminum Radiator". I looked at a lot of radiators online today, and I haven't seen anything that is made out of billet aluminum. It's all welded up, which is perfectly reasonable.

I did find a replacement filler neck made from billet aluminum, but not an entire radiator, or even a radiator that had tanks made from billet aluminum.

For those who don't know, the term, "billet" simply means a solid chunk of metal. It's NOT a type of aluminum. The billet is machined or otherwise formed into the final shape.

I can't see how it would even be possible to machine a billet into a radiator tank, much less an entire radiator. Maybe a machinist can enlighten me.

I think that term has just become a meaningless marketing buzzword, tossed around without much regard to truth, because it sounds cool. I've seen a lot of products that ARE machined from a solid billet, even though there's really no advantage to it for that particular application, other than making it trendy.

But so far, no billet aluminum radiators.

georgia mike

I'm a machinist and you're right. it's not billet. It's most likely an extrusion used for the tanks and regular tubing and fins for the core. All the same, it's still most likely a better radiator than what's available at Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts, and much cheaper too.

Hasdrubal

I concur with the annoying misuse of the word Billet when referring to a radiator. Its right up there with "mag" wheels, hardly anyone has true magnesium wheels.

markx250

Axeman, did u just get the 2-rower? I see they have 3-rowers "coming soon"

There is one on ebay for ~300 that is a 3 rower.

I imagine 2-rows should work fine unless I get around to putting a turbo on.

Thanks, I got by battery boxes and inner fender tig-welded back up and am ready to put a new rad in.

axeman

Yes two row, it is same thickness as my 4 row. Every thing went good with it. It has the o- ring oil cooler ports. Good packaging,arrived quick. Be sure to look for a discount code online.to my door was 200 bucks.

K9Vic

Yes two row, it is same thickness as my 4 row. Every thing went good with it. It has the o- ring oil cooler ports. Good packaging,arrived quick. Be sure to look for a discount code online.to my door was 200 bucks.
I need a radiator in my Suburban 6.2L and for $200 shipped to my door I think that is a better idea over getting it fixed. Last radiator cost me only $30, but the shop said it was pretty clogged up in there. Since my Burb has A/C and I use it for towing, I am going to get this replacement from http://www.genesisautoparts.com over fixing my old one. Thanks for the info on the discount.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Genesis has some questionable reviews. A couple of months back I ordered a 40 gallon fuel tank for my burb. It was inexpensive, fit perfectly and shipped quick. I used a coupon and got free shipping. All in all, great deal. I'll certainly use them again.

K9Vic

I ordered the noted radiator this morning and it shipped out the same day. What I find interesting is that it was shipped out from Houston and will be here Tuesday (tomorrow). Must be the manufacture or a drop ship location, but I will know the sent from address when I get it. I might be able to get it in tomorrow, but daylight is getting shorter now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks