• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Radiator replacement

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

Since my radiator sprang a leak recently... I would like to replace it with a new one, or a used one in good condition.

Can someone please advise me how to do it?

I cannot download the TM's on my work computer,
and I would like to do it myself so I can learn from the experience.

Thank you, God bless you, good day,

CJ

Midnight Rider

Here's how I'd do it.

Get new or used radiator. I would go with new personally.

Maybe disconnect (-) battery cables. Not sure if you need to do this, but it won't hurt you any.

Drain coolant from old radiator.

Disconnect hoses. If you can't remember where they go, draw a picture and label the hoses.

Unbolt old radiator.

Bolt in new radiator.

Attach hoses back.

Fill with antifreeze.

That's the bare bones of it. I've not had to do it on my 1009 yet.

hg adams

I just replaced my radiator last week with a new one from NAPA. It was real easy, and I did not have to look at the manual. The only hard part is getting the fan shroud off. The manual says you need to remove the fan to get it off, but I was able to remove the shroud without having to take the fan off. Just be real careful when you put the shroud back on with the new radiator installed so that you don't damage it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a radiator from a 88-98 truck. But the radiator doesn't have a cap like the older style rads in the first gens. Not sure if you can use it. But it'll be heading to the scrapper if not.

CROM

I'm in the same boat right now....pulled a leaky radiator and replaced it with a used radiator that, come to find out, also leaks. Pulling it out is easy. HG Adams is right; you do not need to remove the fan shroud to get the radiator out...just be careful when you install the new.

On a side note to all you motor heads out there....The radiator I pulled was a three-core and SEEMED to work fine (until the leak). Will I do ok with another three-core? Or is a M1009 spec'ed for a four-core?

123mack

My M1009 came with a three core, which leaked the first time i got it to operating temperature. I had no problem finding a new replacement locally.(Birmingham).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks