• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rattle of DOOM!

FridgeBrilliance

This is probably yet another stupid newbie question, but it is driving me crazy. I live in an area with really bad surface streets and the noise my M1009 makes is insane.

I have jiggled and manhandled the top, the radio tray, the tailgate, the doors, the hood, you name it and everything seems solid, but when I drive over this half-pothole wash it sounds like there is a set of sheetmetal dice bouncing around like an angry god. I mean it sounds like the truck is going to explode. Can't even hear the motor.

I expected a vehicle this old to be loosey goosey and rattly and loud but this is NOT normal. Is there a usual suspect somewhere? Undercarriage? Some secret lynchpin item that I am missing? I am always driving alone so I can't look around while it is happening.

Anyways, I expect alot of "is CUCV, deal with it" so feel free.

Last edited by a moderator:

epitts

Noise

I had the same problem, turns out I was missing a fender bolt. I put in a new bolt with shims and all is better now. I still have some noise while on gravel washboard roads, could be the back seat.

Cletus09

The latch on one side of the tailgate on my 09 rattles and squeaks and rattles because it doesn't latch correctly. Also when I bought the vehicle the front mounts on the vehicle did not have bolts in them. it made a terrible sound until I fixed it.

cpf240

Mine has an horrendous squeal / squeak / rattle that I think is coming from the tailgate. I'm guessing it is due to a combination of worn out weatherstrips and worn / out of adjustment latches. I did find that it is missing the two underneath bolts and one side rail bolt for the top, but I can't see it being the sole cause of noise back there.

Given what was said above, I might try removing the back seat and see how that works, though I usually need it for passengers.

donalloy1

Front to Back Fastener and Latch tightening parade! After Phase 1 complete. Have Buddy help isolate the rest. Been after all of mine since purchased. Still have a couple that I want to KILL!:deadhorse:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you have there is a minor annoyance. The rattle of doom comes when the crankshaft breaks.

86k5

My back seat makes a bunch of noise just like a kid jumping on a mattress., but even worse is when the seat belt beats the heck outa the inner fender. that thing gets going crazy sometimes. It's the male end of the rear seat belt. Try putting a towel or something between that and the fender. Hope it helps. And just to put it out there. something is up with my rear breaks. I think the brake cables are jiggling around making crazy noise. Not sure how to go about fixing that though. maybe yours is the same way?

cpf240

For the rear seat belts, I try to always buckle them up and pull them snug, that seems to cut down on them hitting the inner fender.

No idea on the break cables, but I do have to keep pushing one of the grommets they pass through back in place. Should probably tie-wrap it down, the grommet, not the cable!

dependable

There is always something in an old truck that will rattle when shook. Find the rattle and shim, tighten or pad it. The root cause could easily be an out of round tire, especially on a M-1009. Good opportunity to check other front end components as well.

FridgeBrilliance

Removed antennae, 50% noise reduction. To **** with authenticity. Next up will wedge the back seat and see if that helps. Thanks for all the ideas on where to look for this stuff guys. Yall rock!

cpf240

Ran it around town this weekend with the rear seat folded and tilted forward. No change. I should try pulling out the spare tire, though I did put a plastic chain saw blade sheath between the tire and the bed to stop the rubbing noise that can make.

I'm thinking I should get a couple of those pool noodles and close them in the sides of the tailgate to see if that stops it. What color pool noodles should I use with faded 3-color camo?