• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Re-Gearing...

michigan4x4

Guys... I am looking at possibly buying a M1009 and have a few questions about re-gearing to trailer friendly gear. I have searched the forum for several hours and read everything about M1009 towing capacities, Bumper mounted hitch etc.

I have an M101a2 that I want to use to haul hunting gear (less than 750 lbs) 200 miles north (highway) then off road to my hunting destination usually via two track logging roads.. I am debating between the M1008 and the M1009. The Pickup would be a great towing vehicle but would I dont like the idea of highway driving 55mph with super high RPM and not having my gear covered as it would be in the trailer and blazer.. The 1008 would be great off road and around town, but I am not sure that I could deal with it on the highway.

I am leaning towards the 1009 because I like to be able to protect my gear from weather. Now, from my understanding the 1009 has a highway gear (3.08 which would be terrible for towing but allow 70mph on the highway. Is there a happy medium (Towing and drivability at 65mph)?

How hard is it to find gear sets for the 1009 axles (3.73, 3.90 or 4.10) and swap out the 3.08 in the front and rear diffs? If I paid someone to do the swap, what would a round about $$$ be? Just trying to get an idea what I may be looking at. Would I have to change the carrier? I am not very familiar with axles/gearing etc..

Thanks for any and all assitance.
Jeff

Last edited:

jdeoliveira74

it does have 308 gears but i tow with mine and it does pretty good and gets great mpg. I have towed a commercial mower and equipment on a landscape trailer and you dont even know its back there. I did install a transmission cooler this weekend just to keep the temp down. But its doing fine for me and i love the truck

michigan4x4

Thanks! Yeah... I do have a New in Box B&M Trans cooler (11.5"x7.5" with bypass for colder weather) that could definitely go on the 1009 if I end up getting one. That was the plan anyway.
Refering to the 3.08 gear... I was wondering about swaping them out not only for towing torgue but for off road as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 208 case has 2.61 to 1 low range so you can do pretty decent off road as is. Cost wise might be cheaper to R&R complete axle assys. 3.42s are downright cheap but 3.73s are out there. With that said, if I were going to all that trouble I would at least step up to 3/4 ton 8 lug stuff.

Matt1031

Going rate around me seems to be about $650 to $900 per axle to swap gears within the same carrier break. Front axles are on the higher end of that figure. That's with brand new gears, new bearings, labor, all fluids and small parts, 90 day warranty. The cheapest guy I've seen advertises on Craigslist, carries no insurance, and charges a flat rate of $250 + parts per axle. All he will do is set up gears - you pull the axle yourself, you supply the garage.

Used gears are trickier to setup, so unless you are dealing with a shop the specializes in nothing but driveline work, not a lot of shops are willing to install them (takes a lot of extra time unless you are very experienced). If you want cheap gears (used) you're probably going to have to install them yourself.

If you plan regearing more than 3 or 4 axles in your lifetime, it's worth it to buy most of the tools and learn to do it yourself. Not exactly cheap, but you only have to buy the tools once. Then all you have to do is buy gears and just the shims and bearings you need. If you know what size shims you need, you don't even have to buy a full install kit. It takes a few axles to break even on cost.

For a really common rear like the 10 bolt, it's actually cheaper to buy a decent used set of F & R axles and swap em over vs. changing out the gears in yours. There's no shortage of 73-87 chevy trucks being parted out - take your pick.

Motomech

For a really common rear like the 10 bolt, it's actually cheaper to buy a decent used set of F & R axles and swap em over vs. changing out the gears in yours. There's no shortage of 73-87 chevy trucks being parted out - take your pick.

Totally agree 10 bolts are a dime a dozen.Just do a axle swap with the gears you want IMO 3.73 would be my choice if your going to stay with the same tire size.

panzerwillie

I had 2.73 on my for a while and pull my M116A2 trailer with it with about 500lbs on it with no problems, i'm running a 2.56 on it know but i also install a intercool turbo set i put together out 0f 6.5 stuff, lots of power but i 'm south florida no mountains, if you are planing to run 65mph 3.36-3.42 would be good they are around at good prizes, remember any GM 8.5 goes back to i think late 60's, fit on the blazer 10 bolt and the 8.6 like the H3 also works i got the 2.56 out of 68 camaro for $50 and the second from a 70 nova for $60 use but solid , the rear is easy to work with should be a hour or less to doit if you got a lift and air tools the front is a little more work , check your lockers while you at it good luck :D

kenz5380

I put 3.73s in my M1008, best thing I ever did. I did the read myself with some junkyard parts, cast me about $150. I haven't done the front yet, but I plan on bringing it to a shop. I've been quoted at around $1000 to finish the job. I probably won't get to it till winter though. With my new gears I can easily cruise at highway speeds wit hall the rest of the traffic and I am able to retain the heavy duty axles that came with my M1008. I have had some heavy loads in the back of the truck (1000-3000lbs) since I replaced the gears and it was like they weren't even there. I recommend this route whole heartedly as I feel like you get the best of everything, just no back seat.

panzerwillie

Hey Kenz5380, i got a M1010 that me a buddy are setting up for the alcan HWY convoy amount many things we are going to gear it for HWY speeds,3.55-3.73 did you have to change the carrier when you put the 3.73 from the 4.56. like to know what i need to get before a take it apart never work with a 14bolt rear yet thank you

Barrman

I pull my 101 loaded down a lot with my 1009. The only thing that is hurt by the 3.08 gears seems to be top speed into a head wind with the trailer tarp on. No tarp, no problems. Top on and a head wind means some up hill pulls on pretty slight hills will be 52 mph with my foot all the way in it.

The 6.2 isn't a power house. Remember that and a stock 1009 will do fine if you don't go more than about 2 feet up from the 101 bed with any covers.

michigan4x4

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the responses and advice. Has been a long day today, sorry I didnt respond earlier. Not sure what I am going to do. Might just add the external B&M trans cooler and pull the m101a2 trailer to see how it works. I have a feeling it will be fine, and if not, then I will think about doing complete axle swaps for a 3.73... But, if I was going to pull the axles, might want to opt for something heavier.

Will M1008 axles fit under the M1009? I know they share the same engine, trans and transfer case....

Thanks again!
Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh-i axles will fit but rear spring perches will require relocation. From a simplicity and cost standpoint I would seriously consider the 3/4 ton stuff. Good deals on Oh-8 axles are the exception these days.

michigan4x4

Thanks recovery... you think I should look for the 3/4 ton stuff... Me too.. what exactly should I be looking for if I head out to a scrap yard and poke around? As I said, Probably want something with 3.73 gears front and back. What front axle assembly should I look for and what rear axle assembly should I look for? What vehicles/years should I look for? Sorry I am pretty green when it comes to this stuff. Are the 3/4 ton axles direct bolt in's?

Thanks for all the assistance!

Jeff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More info than needed but here goes. I've been poking at the pick a part yards for a while trying to find some compete diffs with 3.73s for Devilman96s Oh-9. Just a few weeks ago after many months of looking I stumbled across a 90 Burb half ton with 3.73 gears. The front axle was already pulled from the truck, much win. Sadly, the rear was gone. 3.73 gears in half tons are not as poplular as they were in the 70s. If you want to stick with half tons so you don't have to change wheels, your cheapest way out will be the 3.42 axles. There is a set right out in the back. Ultimately a rear axle out of any 3/4 ton chevy from 73 to 87 will bolt right in as long as it's not from a bonus or crew cab. It its from one of those, you will need to move the spring perches. Either a D44 or 10 bolt front would be good too. 3.73 would be a good gear but 4.10 might be pushing it if you want to do 70 MPH. Basically just start hitting CL and pick a part yards to see what you find. When you do find stuff, post up pics for opinions.

MatthewH

I run a stock geared '09 with 33x9.50x15 tires, and have no problems pulling loaded M101 trailers. There slow off the light, but have no problems keeping speed, unless you get a head wind. But if your driving alot of highway, you would get better mileage with the '09, i get 17 typically down the highway.

And you've always got 4lo offroad if you need it

My thoughts

MatthewH

67_C-30

I would do the a turbo swap before I'd change gears. Lower gears are going to hurt top end speed and fuel mileage, but the turtbo will allow it pull better than a N/A 6.2 with 3.73's, and mileage is around the same. You can do a turbo swap using 6.5TD stuff a good bit cheaper than changing gears, unless you get used axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks