• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear Drums to Disc Brakes Conversion?

1dcorbin

My rear brakes are locking up. My rear wheel seals are fine.

Has anyone done the conversion from drum to disc brakes? It seems that this conversion would give me a more reliable braking system.

Has anyone done the conversion? What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Ilikemtb999

Ssbc I believe makes kits for the 10/12 bolt 6 lug axle. Not sure it's too popular though given the weakness of the 10 bolt and the price of said kit. You could buy a 14b full float axle and disc brakes for the price.

1dcorbin

Thank you!

After I wrote my initial question, I found a couple of posts where folks had done the conversion on M1008's, etc. Some who took on the challenge also had to change other parts of the braking system such as the master cylinder, etc.

Should I just go ahead and directly replace the drums, etc.; or, should I go ahead with a disc brake conversion?

If I want my M1009 to be a safe, reliable daily driver; what's best fix? What all do I need to replace?

cucvrus

IMHO I would just replace everything that is on the rear and you would be further ahead of the game. No questions asked. You would have the E brake as designed and future repairs and maintenance would be go to the parts store and get the parts you need. You can get axle seals , wheel cylinders, hardware kits, self adjusters, brake shoes and everything else including drums and be done in about 2 hours. Or go the other way and ???? is this right is that right??? Do as you wish. I am just telling you as a driver and owner of several M1009's for over 20 years. i stick to the plan. GM did a great job. Why spoil it 30 years later. I live in the woods in a cave. But it is an awesome cave with heat and A/C. I feel these questions are baited but so be it. Have a great day. Good Luck on your project.

1dcorbin

Yep! As a I took a break and cut firewood for heating my 'cave', I pretty much came to the same conclusion;I lack the time, talent, and treasure to redesign and retro-fit my M1009's braking system. So, I think I going to stick with the original program.

Thanks you for the quality advice!

Ilikemtb999

I went to disc brakes on my m1009 but with 1 ton axles. It required changing lines, making lines and changed master cylinder. I also had to ditch my e brakes. Still not sure if I need an adjustable proportioning valve.

I agree with above, rebuild back to stock and you'll be fine. It's also not very expensive for the parts.