• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 rear end replacement

acesneights1

A gov-lock anything sucks. Even the gov-lock 14B FF rear. Now a detroit locker that is found in the CUCV 1008's and other truck chassis, that's the ones you want.

I've got a pickle jar filled with kibbles and bits from a gov-lock 14B FF diff that I blew apart.
Yep.

ODdave

I had two blow apart and I lost the wheel and axles. No thanks. 8 lugs for me from now on not to mention way better brakes with the 13 inch shoes. You put a GM 14 bolt with a gov lok and now you got something....:mrgreen:
The governer (part that breaks) in the FF 14 is the same size as the 10 bolt. True you wont loose an axle though. Keep in mind not all 8-lugs are FF. 13in brakes are overkill for a 1009.

Dont get me wrong, I am in no way bad mouthing heavier axles but there are aplication correct ways of going about it. Some things are just overkill. As well, a 3/4 ton chevy front axle is in NOT STRONGER as far as power delivery than the half ton.

acesneights1

well I can say that Jimmy I posted the pics of was a nice conversion. It stopped way better, I had piece of mind of strength and
the 3.73's worked out nicely. I agree the 3/4 front axles is no differnt from the 1/2 ton save for the hubs and rotors and bolt pattern. In fact IIRC the spindles and bearings were the same but a FF 14bolt...well that is a beast. Most of the time a 10 bolt(if you can find a good one) goes for 400$ plus used. On average you can but a mid 70's early 80's 3/4 chevy truck for not much more with both diffs and everything you need plus some spare parts...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks