• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear Power Window

gnick

I know this has been covered many times, but I'm looking for some details that I haven't been able to find with the search function.

I have all the guts of my m1009 tailgate swapped over to civvy K5 internals. Just finished the half ass job that the P/O set up, otherwise I would not have a functioning window. The window goes up and down well with a power drill. I ran a 10g wire from a 12v fuze block I put under the hood to the back of the truck. I bought a new window motor that bolts right up where it is supposed to. Also, i have the original civvy window wire harness in the tailgate as well. Then I hooked up a switch with a bunch of alligator jumper wires. The motor turns clockwise/counter clockwise with ease. However, when I hook it up to the window regulator cable, it doesn't have the power to move the window at all. Also, the jumper wires will get incredibly hot with only a few seconds of run time. The motor is brand new, and is perfectly good.

What wire gauges should I be using for this? is 10g enough from the power source? What sized wire should I be using for the harness/switch? The OEM harness has 14 gauge I think.

any help would be appreciated.

NovacaineFix

Though I could not find a diagram for you, I believe that on a Civi Blazer, there is a relay in between the power window switch and the motor. If there is, then it would be a 14 gage wire from the switch feeding the relay, but the relay would have another power lead that would be larger like a 12 gage. Look in your Civi harness to see if there is a relay cluster (there may be more than 1 relay)

Relays carry current better than switches do and they are safer.
I found a basic 30 amp automotive relay, it really generic, but probably close in appearance below.

I use these types for any accessory that I need powered up that has the potential of drawing more than 10 amps, a power window motor definitely has that.
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/basicrelay.jpg

It's been a while since I ever had to work on a Civi Blazer, so I can't exactly remember what they used for powering it up. My wife's '92 GMC Yukon, however is basically a Blazer and it has several relays for the power windows.

Good Luck!

edit, just in case the image link should change:

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 11.17.19 PM.jpg

NovacaineFix

You know what - i didn't even think of that. That's probably why I'm not getting the power I need. Now i just need to figure out how to wire it up. I think this is the wire diagram you're talking about.

View attachment 598131
Just going off of your diagram, assuming it is for the correct year and everything. I circled where in the fuse block, it states that there should be a circuit breaker self resetting. But also just to the left of what I circled, there is that split between the two boxes marked 76,if there was a relay in conjunction with the circuit breaker, it would probably be there, if I am reading it correctly.
It's been a while since I had to decipher electrical wiring diagrams, so I am a little rusty.

Also wanted to point out, make sure if you already haven't done so, to add extra grounds since this will greatly affect the circuit since the tailgate has some exposure to the elements.

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 11.37.00 PM.jpg

gnick

Really good point on the extra grounds - I'm going to take a shot at wiring this up this weekend. Hopefully I figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks