• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 rear seat question

Ilikemtb999

I purchased an m1009 a few months ago that originally had an arctic kit at one point (the under hood heaters were long gone) and I ended up removing the rotten wood from the rear cargo area. The rear seat had spacers under the mounting pads and for the rear locking mechanism.

My question is after you've folded the seat back down and then folded the entire seat forward, what is supposed to hold the seat in that position? Right now the seat makes contact with the front seats and pushes on the backs.

I read through the TM on the arctic kit install and it made mention of replacing a prop rod on the passenger side but that's about it. I also made note of there being two bolts next to the rear wheel well on the passenger side which I thought maybe could be for the prop to rest into something?

Can anybody shed light on this? Maybe just with a few pictures of the rear seat folded up?

Thanks, Joel

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a prop rod mounted to the right side of the seat that holds it upright and off the backs of the front seats.

Ilikemtb999

I've got a prop rod from the arctic kit but I assume its different since its a different part number. What does the prop rod prop up to? Is there a bracket on the floor near the seat belt mount? Could you measure the length of the seat prop for me?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM 9-2320-289-34P, Figure 203, Item# 15, it shows the stock support rod.

I think this parts goes missing over the years.

Figure 279, item# 3 shows the rod for the winter kit. It shows to insert into the winter kit flooring

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

And that just props anywhere on the floor? There was a cut out in the wood on the arctic kit over those bolts next to the wheel well.

Like I stated I've got one from the arctic kit but I assume its a different length than stock.

Barrman

The stock prop rod had an angle iron type mount that bolted with two screws to the floor. About 4 inches rear of the passenger side rear seat belt mount infront of the tire well.

Ilikemtb999

Any chance someone could take a picture of one for me? Maybe I could just replicate something similar or at least have a picture to reference when trying to find one from someone.

Ilikemtb999

Ah ok, much different than what I've got. Mine just has a slight bend at the end and is just a nub and there was a hole in the wood it would pop into.

So does that telescope? I think I just need to hit up a junk yard and find a k5 to pillage.

Yes it telescopes and locks. So if the seat is down it would be closed. If the seat is flipped forward you press the lever and the rod telescopes out and locks so the seat stays up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks