• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear Window Advice Please

Hi
so my m1009 came with no rear window and I'm currently scouring craigslist for a replacement. Can anyone tell me which year Blazers have glass that will fit my 1986? Does suburban glass fit with the electric motor?

cucvrus

No nothing from the Suburban will fit. You need a Blazer or Jimmy rear window 1973- 1991. Electric or manual. Rear gate glass is Blazer Jimmy only.

KansasBobcat

Be sure and replace the rubber weather stripping inside and out. It seems most of the M1009 have vertical scratches on the rear glass from worn strips and/or attaching clips.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can have my old window glass from my M-1009 when I replace it with new tinted. I wanted to tint my windows but they are scratched up to much. The auto glass shop can still get the glass new and tinted for less than $100 for the rear and $70 for each side (their cost). With that said why mess with the old scratched up glass.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Be careful some of the rear gate tinted windows were laminated and they do not hold up well in the rear gate. But if you must go that way with the laminated rear gate glass be sure to put all new side tracks and weather-strips in the gate. Don't skimp on the extra expense. The laminated glass if not as tough and forgiving as the tempered glass. You can get a tempered rear glass that will have the digital matrix tint on it. That was on the 1987-1991 K5 Blazer. That is more expensive and harder to find but it will hold up better in the rear gate. The side glass will also be laminated and that will not matter. Put tempered sliders in the side and be done with it.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVRUS, I rebuilt the tail gate when I first got it. All new side tracks, rubber, crank, and lift gears. Thought the glass would be fine till I saw a few M1009s with tint and changed my mind. Thanks for the helpful advise.

cucvrus

I used to get them replacement side tracks from GM. I am not sure if they are still available from GM. But I have put in a few for customers that I purchased from LMC. They are about the same quality. Don't try stuffing weather striping in old rusty channels. It just don't work out the same as the new replacement channels. And while you are at it clean the roller guides on the bottom of the window sash. Get all the rust and pits out so the rollers can glide back and forth with ease while cranking the window up and down. Remove and clean the regulator and window crank. Lube them up with grease and oil and reassemble. Don't waste your time with any aerosol WD40 or CRC. Waste of time. Use real grease and oil and clean it all as you go. It can take some time to get everything right on a rear gate. But it is time well spent.

topgun217

Yep I cleaned and greased everything you listed. I coated everything in grease and sprayed a lanolin type grease as well. I wanted to get new channels though. Mine are not rusted, just no felt left on them. A slight rattle. I'll try the gm dealer then lmc.

number9er

I got new channels from LMC. I think it was about $100 for a set. I think I'm still missing a part somewhere too (window cams maybe?). If I roll it down to far, it falls off of the lifting arms. Anyway the LMC channels are made well, even if you have to pay a little more for them if you'd like. Easy to install too.

cucvrus

There is a part at the bottom to stop the window from going down to far. It also serves as a mechanism to engage the inside handle when the window is in the down position. That part had long been discontinued. Check out the parts manual. TM9-2320-289-34P Figure 182 there are a bunch of parts in the circle (1-7) on that page that you will need to get or make so your window will operate correctly. Let me know I have lots of internal gate parts. All are not the best but can be made to work when you have nothing.

mdeamicis

I got new channels from LMC. I think it was about $100 for a set. I think I'm still missing a part somewhere too (window cams maybe?). If I roll it down to far, it falls off of the lifting arms. Anyway the LMC channels are made well, even if you have to pay a little more for them if you'd like. Easy to install too.
Awesome resource. I came here looking for answers and did not even have to ask the questions. Al I have to have is a roller. But I ordered new channels as well since I have the gate open at the moment. I love how they have the old school microfiche cards looking diagrams to look up parts by. Took me back a few years.