• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 rear window

gt1009

Hey just a quick question,
my rear window crank seizes up every turn, do i just need a new crank, or should i replace the entire tailgate. I know someone who is selling one for $50.

ida34

You probably have a track or two rusted out. The side tracks rust out and when they do the window stops moving up and down well. It could be the regulator but I am willing to bet your tracks are rusted out.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The rear window in the CCCVs were a bane to evey driver assisgned to one. They were designed by an idiot after consulting a moron. :roll:
They were most prone to failure (in the down position) during cold, wet weather.
My unit still has a bunch of them at Camp Shelby, MS. Last summer I rode in one that the window was stuck in the down position. After a few hours convoying around the dirt roads everything inside was coated with a thick layer of dust (to include my very expensive cameras).
That's why I never considered owning one even though they are cheap and available (kind of like my ex-wife). :lol:

rgguin

While my rear window id working, I took the inspection cover off and put white grease on everything I could reach in hopes it will keep working.

Wreckerman, what part of Alabama are you in. We need you to join up the Dixie Divison MV club. Or website is http://www.ddmvpa.org/index.html .

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree that the windows are the weakest part of the vehicle we had to replace many cranks and glass when we had them in an active duty transportation company. They got used everyday and Soldiers are hard on parts not built like a Mack truck. I have even toyed with putting barn doors on mine since they work great on my Suburban.

Wmwaller

My rear window crapped out on me yesterday. I've seen threads that mention faulty designs and cheap plastic rollers. Is there a place online where someone could purchase things specific to the M1009, especially like the window crank?

Jerchambers

I replaced my window when my landlord dropped the motor from our swamp cooler off the roof! as soon as we put the window back in, it had resistance enough to break the clutch... I just recently bought a new assembly from LMC trucks and received it in the mail today... I will let you know how it goes once it's in. I think the problem will be resolved though.

QuickSilver

My rear window crapped out on me yesterday. I've seen threads that mention faulty designs and cheap plastic rollers. Is there a place online where someone could purchase things specific to the M1009, especially like the window crank?
LMC Truck sells all the parts.

Last edited:

rod

While my rear window id working, I took the inspection cover off and put white grease on everything I could reach in hopes it will keep working.

Wreckerman, what part of Alabama are you in. We need you to join up the Dixie Divison MV club. Or website is Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club - MILITARY VEHICLE PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION .

Ronnie, uuuuh, Wreckerman is a member of DDMVC. He has been for a few years now. I have personally handled his membership form and dues check.....

OL AG '89

WM and dust in his drawers!!!!

The rear window in the CCCVs were a bane to evey driver assisgned to one. They were designed by an idiot after consulting a moron. :roll:
They were most prone to failure (in the down position) during cold, wet weather.
My unit still has a bunch of them at Camp Shelby, MS. Last summer I rode in one that the window was stuck in the down position. After a few hours convoying around the dirt roads everything inside was coated with a thick layer of dust (to include my very expensive cameras).
That's why I never considered owning one even though they are cheap and available (kind of like my ex-wife). :lol:
WM well now tell us how you REALLy feel about not bringing trash bags for your VERY expensive cameras while traveling in the field........
I guess back in the rear echelon they don't issue dust that often, so apparently you weren't prepared for unauthorized dust on the equipment.
I have launched a FULL congressional inquiry as to why YOU were subjected to such inhumane conditions as those described. I expect to have an answer right after I finish my mac & cheese MRE with the hot sauce and M&M's......
How do you feel about the seat tilt mechanism? I once grabbed a passenger seat to pull forward and the D*MN thing wouldn't move!!!!
I immediately had the vehicle taken to tank range for disposal!!!
rofl
AS far as your exwife's availability, I'll leave that up to sancho or pvt nobody!!!

YES THIS IS ALL IN JEST!!

mistaken1

A truck tailgate with a crank down window in the middle of it is a stinking stupid design. Then to make sure there is no doubt this is a stupid design the crank mechanism is made out of soft metal guaranteed to break after 100 operations.

Grega

Order a new crank, take off the inside cover, remove everything dealing with the window assembly. I took out the channels, cleaned them and glued in some new 3/4 inch felt, installed those clip on door edge guards on the channels. I didnt want to spend $50 a piece at LMC. Seams to work good so far. Removed the regulator, cleaned with solvent and applied white lithium greese on all moving parts. Also cleaned the rollers as they were in good shape yet, and greesed. Also installed new weatherstrip in the topper and on the tailgate, and rubber that holds the window on the lowere channel. If you it right the first time, you wont have trouble for a long time.