• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery and first start up after possible 10 years sitting.

K9Vic

Thanks Warthog and markg for the advise.

I already added some diesel clean to the tank, but not fresh fuel. I think I will burn off some more fuel idling in the driveway before adding some more, gauge shows just under 1/2 tank. I have a stock pile of filters as I buy them in bulk when I get low, same with the GP relays.

Right now I really cannot drive it but around the block as I am waiting on the title, so no plates or current inspection. It seems to shift OK, but I only got it into third once before it started to smoke like crazy.

markg

do you add a license plate light to get them inspected? i have to here in travis county. i have a little advantage, i can print temp tags that allow me to drive them to the inspection staion. thanks. mark. changed the oil yet?

K9Vic

My glass guy came by to install the side glass on the topper and now I just need the rear tailgate glass. I am not sure if I am going to do the pickup conversion, so I am putting the glass in it.

IMG_9985.jpgIMG_9983.jpg

Took it for a longer drive, still smoking like crazy but I have not topped it off yet with new diesel. Trying to burn off some more fuel so the old will be much less when I top it off. For those that do not know, that is my work platform on the front so I do not have to use a ladder.

IMG_9969.jpgIMG_9971.jpgIMG_9973.jpgIMG_9974.jpgIMG_9982.jpg

Yes it has a license plate light, the county put on in the tail gate. I should have my 5 year Military plate tomorrow so I can start to drive it and get it inspected. I did not go with the no plate stencil option as it has none. Plus I want to have a plate for now on.

K9Vic

Installed the rear tailgate glass today. It was only $95 from a local glass shop and was a easy install. Hardest part was getting the old broken glass out of the rubber seat seal. Also a good time to grease the tracks and clean out all the dirt. Next I am going to put the dash back in and maybe bullet line the floor again on this one.

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0010.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks