• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 recovery at Meade……..

joediveguy

Made the trip up to Ft. Meade last week to pick up my newly acquired M1009 from GL. First off a big shout out to maddawg308, good to have the company for the drive there and back. Thanks man!

The recovery was uneventful, batteries were dead, which turned out to be a good thing, so we winched her onto my car hauler for the 80+ mile journey home. Uneventful ride home and pushed her into the garage.
I will post more later when I have the time but here are the Pro’s and Con’s of my first GL purchase.

Con’s:
Did not preview so I rolled the dice on this one…
1. Bent cross member
2. Bent crank pulley
3. Minor rust issues
4. Shattered back window
5. Broken rear window crank, thanks Mike!
6. Dead batteries

Pro’s:
1. Guy’s at GL were good to deal with, flexible.
2. Good steel, minor rust issues
3. Good interior
4. Good tires
5. Solid frame, except for the cross member
6. Good glass except for the rear window
7. Low miles, 37K
8. Runs

I got it home and after a deeper inspection, I found the crank pulley was bent in two places and the first belt, closest to the radiator, was crimped into the pulley groove. I noticed that the cross member had been pushed back into the crank pulley and put a nice straight crease across it. The belts looked new and it appears that the CUCV ran up onto something very hard and bent the cross member, smacking the crank pulley hard enough to pinch the belts. At that point it looks like the vehicle was shut off because the belts were not shredded. I pulled the fan, belts and pulley’s and began the search for a cross member. I found a suitable donor vehicle and got a nice cross member and sway bar, just in case, for $50! The motor turned by hand, which is always a good sign. I was worried that having taken such a hit, the crank may have been damaged.

I pulled the resister out and did the resistor bypass, put two good batteries in it and did an electrical check. All systems looked good so turned her on, the GP’s cycled and stayed on for about 30 seconds, seemed longer but who’s counting? Also, the hazard flashers were on! I Cranked the motor and she fired right up, dying in about 5 seconds. Cranked her again, gave her some gas and she fired up. Ran her for about a min, just to be sure I didn’t hear any funny engine, crank, noises and then shut her down relatively confident that the motor is not damaged.

So now I am elbow deep into pulling the cross member out and putting a new one in. Suffice to say those rivets holding it in place are tough! I have dulled a bunch of drill bits drilling out the rivets. Drill bits, cut off wheel and the air hammer have been my friends. I have four of the eight out. The bottom two rivets are being a real PITA! I need to go have my drill bits sharpened and I will hit it hard again tonight. I will post pic’s and more once I have the time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing the ol' GL forks struck again.

Look over your harmonic balancer and consider putting a new one on now(and crank seal). They are old and do go bad(rubber).

Sorry you had to put up with Mike for the day...:drool:

joediveguy

Guessing the ol' GL forks struck again.

Look over your harmonic balancer and consider putting a new one on now(and crank seal). They are old and do go bad(rubber).

Sorry you had to put up with Mike for the day...:drool:

LOL, Mike's a good guy...

I don't think it was GL and the fork lift. This has all the signs of a front end collision. Funny thing is when I hooked up the new Batteries, the emergency flashers were still on!

I had thought about getting a new harmonic balancer, I still may, but it looks to be in really good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks